• Hawaii Time Pacific Time Mountain Time Central Time* Eastern Time Western European Eastern European Eastern Daylight

*Official unit time is Central Time. All times posted are in the Unit time unless otherwise indicated.

Deployment 2018- Letters from the front

Visitors to our forum-

It has been a time honored tradition that during the deployment cycle the troops of the 15th MEU Realism Unit write letters to loved ones detailing missions, activities and thoughts as if they were away from home for the 6-7 months of a typical MEU deployment. This helps with the immersion of the deployment cycle and has, at times been very humorous for members and at times very realistic as they sometimes reflect actual content of letters written from real service members when they were deployed into harms way. 

These letters have, over the last few deployments been posted in the more public area of our forum to allow the casual visitor the chance to get a glimpse of what goes on in a realism unit of our size during the deployment cycle. This thread will be the "Post Office" for our deployment which will begin in May. 

If you wish to become part of the unit after reading some of these posts or watching some of our videos, don't hesitate to hit the join button, We are always recruiting.

• Like 4

Sgt S. Davis

Law Enforcement Detachment, 15th MEU(SOC)

FPO San Diego, CA 92102

Dear Mom,

Well, its that time again. I know I only write when I get orders, I'll try to do better.

We've been given a MEU wide warning order, unlike last year we still have time to pack and prep the new guys for their first ship out. Its different this time though, when I was in the Navy I only had to look out for my 1-2. Now I see the Maine side of it, and from a lot higher up then before. Better then my first deployment though, rushed out of FMTB to the front as a replacement doc.

The Platoon is shaping up, we got our fill of new faces and fresh boots in the yearly predeployment prep, lots of training going on around here. You should see how those fresh faces from last year look now, you'd think ten years passed in how they grew up. I'm shipping out with some of the finest Marines I have ever served with, hell, I trained half of them since they were recruits! We still have some old faces from last deployment too, a few moved on to other jobs, couple of new stripes walking around. All in all, there is no other platoon I'd rather lead, and no better men to back me up. Even our new guys look promising.

I can't talk about the mission too much, you know how it is. But, I can say I look foreword to it. We are going to be helping some locals, doing police stuff, might even build a school this time. As always, I included a key to my apartment in case you need it. And, after last year's incident I will be calling the banks and holding my cards. I'll call when I get a chance, but you know how deployment prep goes.

I sent this from the deployed postal address so it should work for receiving. I'll try to call every week, I also wrote to Dad, I'll try to call him too.

I also want to call Ash, see if the Air Force is supporting us, it would be neat to meet up, small world and all.

Love You,

Shelby

• Like 1

PFC T. T. Nguyen

FPO San Diego, CA 92102

Dear Bree, 

How's Senior year? Are the freshmen actually competent for once? Do you miss me? Why did i ask that of course you do!

Anyway our plans for you to come and visit me this June at Camp Pendleton is gonna have to be cancelled. I just got orders we are deploying soon. I can't say where because of OPSEC, but I imagine you'll be able to guess where I'm going, by watching the news and that beautiful smart mind of yours. I like to think I'm ready for this, but no one really knows. The guys I'm with are some of the best there is in my MOS and are smart and capable, if they can hear that is. I feel safe I know they'll try to get me back if anything happens, although nothing should happen to us considering our mission as MPs but you never know. Listen if anything does happen to me I have you as one of the first people to be notified, and I want you to help my sisters and brother through it. They always thought I was there invincible big brother, and they would absolutely be devastated if something were to happen. I know i'm getting morbid and sad and whatever, but you ought to know and understand the reality of the situation. When I get back however I expect to see you there waiting for me with a big banner and a big beautiful smile plastered across your face. Then you can stay and we can go to the beach and do whatever you want, or just lay in bed all day. I'm sorry but i have to cut this short I am woefully underpacked for this. Say hi to my sisters for me and tell them that they need to practice there drop spins and chromatic scales.

Love,

Tyler

Edited by PFC T. T. Nguyen
  • Like 1

Sgt H. Harris
3/1 MAR DIV, 15th MEU (SOC)
MCB Camp Pendleton
Oceanside, CA 92058

April 25, 2018

Dad,

Fuck. This.

It’s ISIS. Fucking ISIS, or some subsidiary of ISIS. When I joined up, I was trying to get some good Japanese pussy in Tokyo or Thailand. Now, they’ve got us rooting some baddies out of (can’t tell you where) that’ve probably already turned the jungle into their own piss fest complete with caves, bunkers, and all sorts of take-one-wrong-step-and-we’ll-see-you-on-CNN-in-nine-years goodies for us. COIN operations, says command; IEDs, says I.

Doesn’t do any good, now I’ve just gotta “have faith”. Well, I’m all out of that. Shum—you remember him—faith shot off his arm in Cordocas. I’ve learned from my mistake,  I’m not putting one of my team member's lives on the line. The bullshit ends here.

Anyway, love you dad. If I don’t get a letter to her, send my love to Nana.

Love ya,
Hunter

Edited by Sgt H. Harris
  • Haha 3

Major D. A. Thomas 

Headquarters, 15th MEU(SOC)

FPO San Diego, CA 92102

Patti-

Its only been a few days since leaving you and the kids and I can't get the picture of you guys at the pier out of my head.  It was a nice send off and I am already anticipating my return, even though it is seven months away.  Colonel Penny and LtCol Alexander have decided we will surprise the troops next month with a video conference during one of the family days, allowing the families to see and talk to one another as a morale boost.

Once we left port, the ACE element flew to the ship, the Gators met us as did the Titans in the LCACs.  I know you know this but we have three amphibs making up the ARG and we have a destroyer assigned to us for the duration of the deployment.  Usually we get one assigned as we need it but it looks like the powers that be have noticed that when ever we deploy, we get into a scrap.   

Operations is already busy, setting up training with the Korean Marines, Japanese self defense forces and Australian army for a war game scheduled next month.  It is always great to work with other forces, it gives us a chance to see what they do differently and steal their good ideas.  Anthony Luepold is my contact with the Australians, yes that Anthony, ("Don't call me Tony, ya cunt, Tony is a girls name") so we should be able to have a few beers on liberty once the training is over.

The ship is in good shape.  The Navy just had it refitted and Officer's country is pretty comfortable.  You may remember last deployment, the Intelligence Officer Maj. Delgado and I shared a cabin, well this time we each got a cabin to ourselves.  The Captain of the ship decided non pilot Majors and up did not have to share space.  The ships company has to share up to Commander, LtCol equivalent and the CO of ACE is the only pilot with his own space.  

The Colonel asked the officers to pop in on the troops once in a while and I have been walking through the berthing areas chatting with them.  Their spirits are high and I think they are as ready as any troops I have deployed with to meet any challenge.  I went into the Goat Locker to talk to SgtMaj Hoagland and the Master Chief in charge of the Boatswains mates read me the riot act.  The Goat Locker is where E-7 and above are berthed and this chief was highly aggravated that I would sully their air with my presence.  Hey, I'm all about traditions, and the Navy holds many traditions that are great, but I am not going to delay an important discussion because you want to walk around with your dick out and not have an officer see it.  Cover that shit up, I guarantee we Marines don't want to see it.

Anyway, this letter has gone on long enough.  I have to get some sleep, we are expecting a long day tomorrow.  Give my love to the kids and make sure Alex sends me pictures of his Franken-finger.  The Colonel and his wife like to make sure he is doing well.  

Missing you,

Dave

• Like 1

1stLt D. Johansen
Aviation Combat Element, 15th MEU (SOC)
FPO San Diego, CA 92102

My dear father,

It has been about a week since you dropped me off by the airport with mom. I have never seen her cry that much & a tear did find its way down my cheek when I last saw you both around the corner
Right now, I'm at sea with my brothers heading to people who needs our help - I can't say where yet but trust in I'm in good & safe hands around me

I have to say being here isn't to bad, we got lovely beds, 3 meals a day, fresh sea wind & if I need something to do, then I can always check up with my bird - Of course, it doesn't get close beating the home feeling with everyone I hold dear around be within a moments notice

Speaking of family, how is my sisters & brothers? I know they must have questions about where I'm going, my safety, & my intentions. I mean, Samantha, Louise, & Magnus is 10 years old - I didn't know what to say to them before I left & I still don't
The best I can say is that I have to help these people like them to get a normal life - I know they might not find peace alone with that but tell them I promised I'll be back before long
Nicolai are an adult so I know he understands this, but does he accept it? - I am his older brother & he might not see reason with me being gone for the benefit of others but he knows that is what I do like, the trip to help Trinity. 
I just hope he's willing to step up with everything until I get back & after 

There isn't much else to say, but I'll be working to yet see you all back at home. I'll try to send a letter every month
Oh yeah one more thing, I hid my computers hard drives since I know Nicolai will try to see what I have on there so I installed a new hard drive that's clean. You may have to install the operating system to make it work.
I'm sure you can find a youtube video about that unless the years as gotten to you old man ;-)  

I love you,

Yours,
Daniel

• Like 1

LCpl J. Merc

3/1 Marines, 15th MEU (SOC)
FPO San Diego, CA 92102

Dear mom and dad

Well its my second deployment and this one is gonna be way longer compared to the last one. I can't tell you where im going next but you guys would figure it out whether I told you or not, the news is good for that kinda stuff. I know you guys were always against my enlistment when I joined the cadets and I wont forget your angry and sad faces when I told you I would be thrown  into a warzone straight out of school but Dont worry everyone here has each others backs so I will defenitely come back home the same as before, if I can survive one deployment I can survive another.

How is faith and malcom doing right now? I know having a dad being gone for months and havong a mother in the hospital under constant care is not the greatest for their mental state. I left a present for them before I left the house so make sure it gets to them well! and send me a picture of their faces Ill need another picture to keep in my vest.

Tell erica not to worry about me to much, it wont help with her recovery and her goal to stand on her own two feet again when I make it home.

Love

John

Edited by LCpl Merc
  • Like 1

LCpl M. Lucier

FPO San Diego, CA 92102

Mom

By the time you get this we probably will be at sea, headed off to some where (You know I can't tell you) for another deployment. Don't worry tough I'm still with now SGT Muir. Yeah he got promoted after we got back and we have  couple of new faces on the team. They know their shit and are getting along pretty well. So I'm in good hands and good company.

But that's enough about me its about that time of year again is Owen starting baseball this year? Make sure he doesn't hand the ball to the pitcher, like he did when he started Tee ball. Olivia is getting so big! Tell her big brother says hi same for Owen. Hope things are going alright for Bri and her family, Last time I saw them Evan was teaching Olivia the joys of putting toys in my boots. I'll ask dad about Joshy and Allision so don't worry about that. 

I'm going to have to wrap this letter up and finish packing, I miss you all, Take care and be safe.

Love 

Mathew

• Like 1

Sgt B. T. Smith

MCB Camp Pendelton, CA 92102

Hey Dad,

Today I got informed by HQ that our MEU will be deploying to the south pacific within the next couple of days.

I've heard rumors that we might be taking on arms against ISIS. I can't give any exact details out yet.

While I am still stateside for the moment, the brass could possibly ship me out to train the local PD forces.

The images of Zaventem and Maalbeek are still freshly planted in my mind.

We're gonna make them pay for every life that they have taken.

Tell Mom, Dylan, Grandma & Grandpa I miss them, I'll try to keep you updated if I get sent overseas.

It's time for me to make the grass grow now so I'm gonna keep it at this.

Ik hou van jullie,

Björn

Edited by Sgt B. T. Smith
  • Like 1

HMCM (FMF) C. Calais

MCB Camp Pendelton, CA 92102

Hey kiddo',

I heard you're doing way better with your autism.  That's good, cause we might be able to have a conversation when I come home (...or, you could let me sleep?).  Don't forget though, you're mother did this to you! Joking (kinda'?).

Anyways, keep up the good work with your ABCs and what not.

Also, get out of my computer chair.  I know you're in it while I am away spinning around like an autistic top on full "Reeeeeee" mode, but that chair is expensive and if it breaks before I make it back to my PC you're not old enough, and my never be able, to get a job and replace it.  GET OUT OF MY CHAIR!

All jokes aside, I love you.  ...but really, get out of my chair.

- "Doogie"

• Like 4

GySgt Sicuro

HHC, 3/1 15th MEU(SOC)

FPO San Diego, CA 92102

Hey Baby,

Well it's that time again.Getting ready to float out, probably somewhere where they don't have Starbucks or dunking donuts so i'm gonna be a peach to live with. We got a new guy assigned to the team . SSgt C. Smith he's green but hes cutting his teeth ok so that puts us at 3 . I figure right about now your making your list on what spring cleaning chores your gonna start with, my bet is you'll start upstairs and work your way down, oh that reminds me ....don't forget the oil changes on the truck the car is good i just did it. If there are any problems just call Jerry he'll square em away .Tell Anthony i got his M&M care package that kid kills me, every time he gets depressed he gives me his blue M&M's  i swear that kids gonna be a doctor "here take a handful of these and call me in the morning" .Tell Joe when i get back we'll start on that gazebo in his yard otherwise it will be crooked as a Y, and tell Danielle to keep the pinot down to a low roar at least till i get back ...then we can all go out and get plastered together and try to reinforce on maria that there's no bad monsters under her bed or in the closet . Well thats it from here if you dont hear from me were either on OPSEC lockdown or en route to our destination so if ya don't hear from me for a few don't flip out i'll reach out as soon as i can.  Love ya much and keep the faith. Semper Fi baby

P.S  While im away try to keep the battery allocation to a minimum xD.....SEE YA WHEN I SEE YA  XOXOXOXO

Edited by GySgt Sicuro
  • Like 1

LCpl J. I. Lee

FPO San Diego, CA 92102

Anna,

Well, here we are again. I know this is probably going to irritate you to hear, but I'm kind of excited for it all. It's really amazing to see all of the machines and people moving in unison like some kind of drab, macabre waltz. Anyways, I hope things are going smoothly over there. You know if you ever need help, you can always talk to Matty or my brother. They'll give you anything you need. I'm sorry that the timing of this got in the way of our plans, but stick around - I have big ideas for when I get back.

I know you're dying to head back to MA like we talked about, but just think about your dad crying because Tom Brady doesn't know what a strawberry tastes like. Hah, sorry, gotta jab at you even from here. Also, if you do head up there for a visit - tell him I said that college ball IS a legitimate sport, but Ivy League teams don't count. Anyways, I'll be heading along now. Before I go, I figured I'd share some words from men much wiser than myself:

"It matters not how strait the gate, 

How charged with punishments the scroll, 

I am the master of my fate, 

I am the captain of my soul."

-W. E. Henley

I'll be back before you know it. In the meantime, enjoy restful nights without my snoring, drooling and occasional sleep farts. Then again, you'll have to share the bed with Sasha, so all bets are off. I'll see you girls in a few months.

Affectionately yours,

Joshua

• Like 3

PFC T. T. Nguyen

FPO San Diego, CA 92102

Dear Bree, 

I Re-watched the performance at San Antonio and I remember the long bus ride. Leaving a football game after halftime to go home shower and get back to the school to head out again at Midnight. The pain in my ass from those charter bus chairs waking me up at intervals of about 30 minutes or so. I don't remember if i told you or not, but the night before we left I had stayed up trying to get a project done and only slept 2 hours. Stopping at Buc-ees 5:45 in the morning to get changed and get ready best we could, at that point i had only slept maybe 6 hours in the course of 2 days. Followed by the best performance we had and a lot of crying on the part of the seniors being so overwhelmed with how we have evolved during the time they were there and the realization that everything they worked for landed them at The Alamo dome. Do you remember what you said to me after we had the ensemble picture and everything? How everything we have worked on was really working towards this moment. That is how I feel now floating along in the Corium heading towards our destination. Everything we have done, the training, the planning, the practice is all leading up to when our boots hit the sand and we get a real chance to help people put there lives back together. Help them get a feeling of normalcy that the conflict happening on there land was a bad dream and this is the reality. Help the local forces rebuild themselves to fight for themselves and protect there families, property, and country. I'm nervous I haven't slept much since we left port and all these scenarios keep running through my mind. What if a VBIED hit a checkpoint I was manning? What if we get overwhelmed by the enemy? What if at the end it all, after everything we did it was in vain and they re surged with more power? Is what we're doing the right thing? This is the conflict inside of me now, this is what is tearing me apart from the inside. Now more then do I wish you were here with me. You would probably say something comforting to try and help, or say that I worry to much. Which you would be right to say. I can't wait to hear what you say about all this. Don't bother sending food packages by the way. Those don't get to me, however I am told H&S company is really enjoying them.

Love, 

Tyler

HM3 (FMF) Lockworth

Battalion Aid Station, 15th MEU(SOC)

FPO San Diego, CA 92102

Dear Mom and Dad,

Hey guys! I know my letters have grown seldom in the past couple months. We have been conducting a lot of training and exercises so I haven't really had time to do anything other than the current task at hand. But, with the news that I have just received, it would be insane not to inform you guys of what's going on. I'm being deployed. I know that I promised you guys that it would be a guarantee that I would only be deployed once in my career. But that was a lie. I knew that you guys would talk me out of re-enlisting if you knew that it would mean me throwing myself back into harm's way. But I can assure you that this shouldn't be anything too crazy or dangerous. Apparently, some ISIS groups have sprung up in some random ass tropical island called "Tanoa." But this is good news! Considering that we are fighting ISIS, they could have sent my ass to the middle of a desert for all I know. So at least I'll be able to bask in the sun on a beach or something. 

I know that you are concerned about me being deployed. Especially considering the near-death experiences that I had last year. Trust me, I'm not thrilled about going back against an enemy as well. I saw some shit that I would cripple myself to forget. Having a friend die in your arms from taking three 50 cal shots to stomach is something that could really fuck someone up if only I hadn't seen much worse. Things that I could not even bare write down on a page. Because memories like that are better buried with someone. So that they will never be known to any other man. 

But I can assure you that this time around won't be as bad or life threating (at least to myself) because of my current position. During my first deployment, I was but a lowly section corpsman. Which meant that I was with the guys on the front line at all times. With my new position, I am usually in the rear with command where it is safer and the flying bullets are less frequent. Although this doesn't exclude me from ever being on the front line getting shot at left and right, I am a little better off than I was a year ago. I'll make sure to write whenever I get the chance to keep you guys updated on what's going on. I know how you guys got a little pissed at me the last deployment because I sugar coated a lot of what I was experiencing. So I'll make sure to not spare you guys any details. 

Your loving son,

Shane

Recruit J. Jameson
Recruit Training Depot

San Diego

Mom/Dad

The past few weeks have possibly been the hardest I've ever had to endure but I know it's only going to get harder. Our drill instructors are exactly like from the movies maybe worst, they're total badass and have been smashing us since day one. I'm getting fitter and stronger every day and I'm even beginning to look like a Marine, someone you can be proud of dad. There's only a couple of weeks left before we graduate from Boot Camp but that won't mean the end of training, I won't bore you with the facts but I've decided to stick with my original choice and go with the 15th MEU. Its where I've always wanted to go since I started this road and I've heard its a good bunch of guys and girls.

I hope you're doing well I know last time we spoke Duke was going to the Vets so I hope he's good too, I don't think it would be the same without that damn dog running mad around the house and I know Charleigh would get pretty heartbroken if we ever lost him. I also got a letter from Emily, it was nice to hear from her all the way from England and hearing how she is doing at the university over there so thank you for asking her to do that I know she's just as busy and me. It's all these little things that keep me going especially when the going gets tough, which it often does. I look forward to your next letter and I love you loads.

Your loving son,

Jake. 

P.S. Make sure you have a cold beer waiting for me when I get home!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Major D. A. Thomas

Headquarters 15th MEU(SOC)

FPO San Diego, CA 92102

Patti-

Once again I find myself in harms way leading the finest troops in the Corps.  What started out as a humanitarian mission to a cyclone ravaged group of islands has turned into a dick measuring contest between the US and a regional power.  I'm sure you will see the incident or reports of it in the news but know that I am safe and the pilot from the shot down Helo is safe also.  I'm not at liberty to discuss the incident more than that.

What I can tell you is that the troops are ready, we will be going into full ass kicking mode and Woe be unto those that would wish us harm for they shall fell the wrath of our righteousness.  We will be bringing the fight to the enemy and they will fall before us like wheat to the scythe.

Don't worry for me, I where I need to be.

Love to all,

Dave 

• Like 2

*****OPERATIONAL IMMEDIATE*****

TO: HEADQUARTERS, MARINE CORPS

BEGIN MESSAGE

19JUL18, 0500 LOCAL- MSOT RAID ON OIL PLATFORM SUCCESSFUL.  ALL OPFOR ELIMINATED, MINOR CASUALTIES, PLATFORM AND IT'S INFRASTRUCTURE INTACT.  AS OF 0500 LOCAL, PLATFORM OFFICIALLY IN GREENFOR HANDS.

END MESSAGE

TO: HEADQUARTERS, MARINE CORPS

BEGIN MESSAGE 

19JUL18, 1800 LOCAL- INDIA COMPANY AND ATTACHED ELEMENTS LANDED SUCCESSFULLY ON THE SOUTHEAST ISLAND OF TANOA.  HUMANITARIAN EFFORTS CONTINUING AS FLOODING CRESTS.  CONTACT WITH LOCAL GOVERNMENT AUTHORITIES INITIATED.  LED DETACHMENT TO CONTINUE EFFORTS BUILDING AND SECURING FOB ATLANTIS.  VERY LIGHT CONTACT WITH INDIVIDUAL INSURGENTS.  SAID INSURGENTS CAPTURED OR KILLED IN OPERATIONS AREA.

END MESSAGE

*****OPERATIONAL URGENT*****

TO:HEADQUARTERS, MARINE CORPS

COMMANDER, COMPHIBRON ONE

COMMANDER, USPACFLT

COMMANDER, USMARFORPAC

COMMANDER IN CHIEF, USPACOM

CHAIRMAN, JOINT CHIEFS OF STAFF

SECRETARY, UNITED STATES NAVY

SECRETARY, DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE

PRESIDENT, UNITED STAES OF AMERICA

FROM: 15TH MEU(SOC) OPERATIONS OFFICER, BY DIRECTION COMMANDER 15TH MEU(SOC)

BEGIN MESSAGE

22JUL18, 0930 LOCAL- LEAD ELEMENTS OF 15TH MEU(SOC) IN CONTACT WITH STRONG HOSTILE AIR FORCES.  AT THIS TIME INDIRECT FIRE AND AIR ATTACKS TARGETED ON USMC FORCES CONFIRMED AS ORIGINATING FROM DRB POSITIONS.  STRONG AIR ATTACK ON AMPHIBIOUS READY GROUP VESSELS UNDERWAY.  ALL FORWARD DEPLOYED UNITS PREPARING FOR OFFENSIVE OPERATIONS AGAINST DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF BORNEO FORCES FORWARD DEPLOYED ON THE ISLANDS OF TANOA.  MARITIME AND AIRSPACE EXCLUSION ZONES TO EXTEND TWENTYFIVE (25) MILES AROUND THE NATION OF TANOA.  

INDIA COMPANY DIRECTED TO OFFENSIVE POSTURE TO THE SOUTH AND WEST OF THE MAIN ISLAND.  KILO COMPANY DIRECTED TO OFFENSIVE POSTURE TO THE NORTH AND WEST OF THE MAIN ISLAND.  LIMA COMPANY DIRECTED TO DEFENSIVE POSITIONS (COIN OPS) IN ALL AREAS TO THE REAR OF THE FORWARD EDGE OF THE BATTLE AREA.  ACE UNITS DIRECTED FOR AIR SUPERIORITY MISSIONS IMMEDIATLY.  LAW ENFORCEMENT DETACHMENT WILL CONTINUE EFFORTS IN THE AREA OF FOB CENTER FOLDS.  SECOND PLATOON, DELTA COMPANY AND FIRST PLATOON BRAVO COMPANY WILL CONDUCT OFFENSIVE OPERATIONS AS DIRECTED.

EQUIPMENT LOSSES AND CASUALTY REPORTS TO FOLLOW.

END MESSAGE

****OPERATIONAL URGENT**** 

• 5 months later...

LCPL Stryker, Marcus J.

3/1 15th MEU(SOC)

USS Adam Corium

Hey mom, 

You know the old adage "War is Hell?" yeah they ain't kidding.

Seems like every time we leave the boat everyone and their mother wants to kill us, from the guys with guns to the nature. 

So anyways hope Quannah and Parker aren't causing too much trouble. I'll write soon.

Marcus

• Like 1