• Hawaii Time Pacific Time Mountain Time Central Time* Eastern Time Western European Eastern European Eastern Daylight

*Official unit time is Central Time. All times posted are in the Unit time unless otherwise indicated.

I've been having this problem with my internet connection where I can't join friends on apps or games & I'm blaming my NAT type big time. However, I don't know what my NAT is. I believe it's strict due to the limits. 
If anyone here knows how to check & fix this problem, I would greatly appreciate it & most likely would order you a pizza. 

Thanks for the help

NAT is handled by your router. 

If you get the device's model number (written on it) you can easily look up how to play with the NAT configurations. 

If you inform us of the model, I might be able to find a guide or give specific instruction for those games.

Basically you'd need to view a "control panel" webpage for your router and change port/security settings. 

2 hours ago, 2ndLt(Ret) Dunston said:

NAT is handled by your router. 

If you get the device's model number (written on it) you can easily look up how to play with the NAT configurations. 

If you inform us of the model, I might be able to find a guide or give specific instruction for those games.

Basically you'd need to view a "control panel" webpage for your router and change port/security settings. 

I can access my router on my web brower with my admin login. From there, I'm lost as all hell. Let me find you my router model

Just now, SNA D. Johansen said:

I can access my router on my web brower with my admin login. From there, I'm lost as all hell. Let me find you my router model

It's usually something simple. admin / admin, admin / password, root / 12345

3 minutes ago, SNA Akif said:

I had similar problems, fixed my router using this website. Check it out. 

I recommend you to save your settings before changing anything on your router.

I appreciate this however, I can't even find out how to save any settings that already there. 

Johansen,

NAT stands for Network Address Translation.  The simplest way I can explain it (And I barely understand it) is that it is how your router is moving around received information from the world wide web to your local network.  Typically NAT issues are due to your ISP's modem/gateway doing NAT (because it includes a router), and then you also have a router behind that where NAT is also active.  This is referred to as "Double NAT" and causes the issues you are seeing.

You can fix this one of two ways:

1. Disable NAT on your router (Not recommended)
    1. This can cause issues so unless you have another device doing NAT, I wouldnt do this. 
  2. DMZ the device you are having issues with (also not recommended)
    1. If you are trying to minecraft from an Xbox/Xbone/XboneS as well as get on XBlive, then DMZ'ing your xbox isnt a big deal. Basically this puts that device onto the wide open internet but since you shouldnt have anything of real value on the xbox it's not a big deal. 

To try to figure this out in more depth, do the following and report back.

Follow the cable from your ISP (Phone line, Coaxial line, Fiber line, etc) to the first box, give us that make and model (Example: Motorola SB5161).

Follow the line to the next box, get us the same info

Continue until you get to your computer/the end point of the network. 

From there we can start to map out your network and work on a permanent fix to your issue.

Edited by Capt Steever
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Capt Steever said:

Johansen,

NAT stands for Network Address Translation.  The simplest way I can explain it (And I barely understand it) is that it is how your router is moving around received information from the world wide web to your local network.  Typically NAT issues are due to your ISP's modem/gateway doing NAT (because it includes a router), and then you also have a router behind that where NAT is also active.  This is referred to as "Double NAT" and causes the issues you are seeing.

You can fix this one of two ways:

1. Disable NAT on your router (Not recommended)
    1. This can cause issues so unless you have another device doing NAT, I wouldnt do this. 
  2. DMZ the device you are having issues with (also not recommended)
    1. If you are trying to minecraft from an Xbox/Xbone/XboneS as well as get on XBlive, then DMZ'ing your xbox isnt a big deal. Basically this puts that device onto the wide open internet but since you shouldnt have anything of real value on the xbox it's not a big deal. 

To try to figure this out in more depth, do the following and report back.

Follow the cable from your ISP (Phone line, Coaxial line, Fiber line, etc) to the first box, give us that make and model (Example: Motorola SB5161).

Follow the line to the next box, get us the same info

Continue until you get to your computer/the end point of the network. 

From there we can start to map out your network and work on a permanent fix to your issue.

When I see you on Captain on TS, I'll stop by if you have time. This might work

• 2 weeks later...

Johansen you get this sorted? 

As the Capt said putting the IP for you console or device into the DMZ should work, otherwise you could open ports for your devices and games, plenty of tutorials online for it.

Anyways found this on the TP-Link FAQ page might help you out: http://www.tp-link.com/us/FAQ-28.html