• Hawaii Time Pacific Time Mountain Time Central Time* Eastern Time Western European Eastern European Eastern Daylight

*Official unit time is Central Time. All times posted are in the Unit time unless otherwise indicated.

Helis, joystick and cTab/radio issues

SNA (Ret) M. Perez

I asked some ACE guys, who had some thoughts, but I think it best to open it up to everyone. 

I have a logitech extreme 3D pro joystick, with the analog throttle lever. Whenever I'm flying a helicopter and open my radio stack or Ctab, I lose my collective (throttle). If I need to just do a quick reference of the map, zoomed out and I'm flying fairly high, it's not a big issue. If I'm flying NAP or contour, it's a death sentence. Any thoughts? I guess I could disable the throttle function and just use keyboard for that, or keyboard for everything. But, I'm really trying to do everything as "legit" as possible. any help is greatly appreciated!

4 minutes ago, Cpl H. Taylor said:

I guess you fly in SFM? AFM does not exhibit the same issue.

I was flying in AFM a while back. But now that I'm just getting into things again, I switched to SFM. I will hop in Editor tonight and check to see if that issue arises in both and report back. 

With analog throttle, people appear to have mixed results in SFM, and guaranteed loss of lift with non analog methods of control. In AFM, analog throttle maintains consistent power.

In fact, I have been known to go into the Escape menu, tab out, and look something up while I let the aircraft fly itself. No issues whatsoever in AFM with my extreme 3D or my current joystick.

Edited by Cpl H. Taylor

1 hour ago, Cpl H. Taylor said:

With analog throttle, people appear to have mixed results in SFM, and guaranteed loss of lift with non analog methods of control. In AFM, analog throttle maintains consistent power.

In fact, I have been known to go into the Escape menu, tab out, and look something up while I let the aircraft fly itself. No issues whatsoever in AFM with my extreme 3D or my current joystick.

Ok, this is helpful. Does this apply to fixed wing, helis, or both based on your experience?

Both, it's an input processing thing rather than an airframe thing.

However, you're only likely to immediately and painfully care about it/notice it in a helicopter, as fixed-wing aircraft will take that much longer to drift below minimum forward airspeed.

Edited by Cpl H. Taylor

27 minutes ago, Cpl H. Taylor said:

Both, it's an input processing thing rather than an airframe thing.

However, you're only likely to immediately and painfully care about it/notice it in a helicopter, as fixed-wing aircraft will take that much longer to drift below minimum forward airspeed.

Got it. The wife has class tonight. So, I have a decent amount of free time tonight to get things - hopefully - squared away. Thanks for the help/input!

22 hours ago, Cpl H. Taylor said:

No problem, hope my input helps you square away your input -_-

It's a weird problem between my stick and Standard Flight Model. Spoke with Coffield last night. he had the same issues, though he only flies Advanced. I switched to advanced and the issue went away. But flying in advanced was impossible. Setting the bird down resulted in me just rotating to the right, even though I was putting zero input into the stick, collective or rudder pedals. So, I'll have to figure something else out. 

Your z axis isn't calibrated if that's happening.

I had the Extreme 3D Pro for nearly a decade as my one and only flight stick, and it exhibited all of the symptoms you described in SFM, and none in AFM. (except for the right rudder)

Ensure Z axis is calibrated. If it is according to windows/its driver, add a little more central dead zone to it in arma configurations.

Edited by Cpl H. Taylor

4 hours ago, SNA M. Perez said:

It's a weird problem between my stick and Standard Flight Model. Spoke with Coffield last night. he had the same issues, though he only flies Advanced. I switched to advanced and the issue went away. But flying in advanced was impossible. Setting the bird down resulted in me just rotating to the right, even though I was putting zero input into the stick, collective or rudder pedals. So, I'll have to figure something else out. 

You may have misunderstood what I was saying...I normally fly AFM.... however....I switched to SFM during the ACE wide to avoid any chance of dying from VRS when attempting to hover for log periods of time when looking at CTAB or the map.  So when I experienced the same issues you are having....it was in SFM as well.

I don't normally fly in SFM but I did that night to help relieve some of the pressure of flying while being Odin seeing how it was only my 2nd major OP being Odin.

AFM is a whole new beast compared to SFM so it will take some time to master.

Edited by Capt Coffield
Spelling Correction

14 hours ago, Capt Coffield said:

You may have misunderstood what I was saying...I normally fly AFM.... however....I switched to SFM during the ACE wide to avoid any chance of dying from VRS when attempting to hover for log periods of time when looking at CTAB or the map.  So when I experienced the same issues you are having....it was in SFM as well.

I don't normally fly in SFM but I did that night to help relieve some of the pressure of flying while being Odin seeing how it was only my 2nd major OP being Odin.

AFM is a whole new beast compared to SFM so it will take some time to master.

I understood. I just phrased it wrong. I was referencing how you mentioned that you've experienced the throttle loss issue in AFM. No worries, we all know you're a badass in a bird ;)