• Hawaii Time Pacific Time Mountain Time Central Time* Eastern Time Western European Eastern European Eastern Daylight

*Official unit time is Central Time. All times posted are in the Unit time unless otherwise indicated.

Using AIO Computer as External Monitor with Touchscreen

I have a Dell Inspiron 2330 All-in-One computer with touchscreen capability. I no longer use it as a computer because it's been replaced by a new one. I'm now using it as a second monitor.

Is it possible to use it with it's touchscreen capability?

Interesting question... we use a ton of AIOs at work and the usual question is the opposite: getting a second monitor for the AIO. 

FIrst off, does the AIO have a video in port? If not, then you won't be able to use it as a monitor at all. Assuming it does have a video in port, I am pretty sure you are not going to be able to use the AIO monitor as a touch input device, as it will only be receiving video signal.

Edited by Capt Blake

3 hours ago, Col Penny said:

I've already got it set up as a second monitor using HMDI. Just trying to spoil myself with the touch screen.

Yeah.. likely not possible. Simply plugging a video cable into it doesn't enable touch input to be sent through said cable. The AIO monitor is simply receiving video signal through the video in port, its not sending data to your computer. Perhaps if it was also plugged into your computer via USB there could be some jerry-rigged solution, but to get that working would be way over my head.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Capt Blake said:

Yeah.. likely not possible. Simply plugging a video cable into it doesn't enable touch input to be sent through said cable. The AIO monitor is simply receiving video signal through the video in port, its not sending data to your computer. Perhaps if it was also plugged into your computer via USB there could be some jerry-rigged solution, but to get that working would be way over my head.

correct, you would have to use both VGA/DVI/HDMI and Serial/USB to use it as a touch screen monitor