• Hawaii Time Pacific Time Mountain Time Central Time* Eastern Time Western European Eastern European Eastern Daylight

*Official unit time is Central Time. All times posted are in the Unit time unless otherwise indicated.

monitor going black

T. Jenkins

My monitor appears to be going black. as if someone is turning it off. I have the most up to date driver, my motherboard is relatively new.

Recently I bought a new GPU ( gtx 1070) and a new HDMI cable. 

another trouble shooting step I would rather not do, is reformatting my disks and reinstalling windows completely. I think my monitor is about 4 years old now, however for those 4 years its constantly on in some way shape or form other than whenever I go to training and or work. So lets say ten hours a day on average. 

I will reply with my specs

A few questions.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable or different port on the video card?  

Does this happen randomly or after it has been on for awhile?

Does your motherboard have an HDMI port and does this problem occur if you use that instead of your nVidia card?

i know you said you have the latest drivers, but are they the drivers from nVidia or from Windows Update and have you tried to either re-install the latest drivers from nVidia or have you tried an earlier driver version?

if you don't want to re-install windows you might be able to try and use system restore to go back in time to a point where you knew it worked.

if you've done all this then I would definitely be questioning the monitor.  Especially if it's been on as long as you say it has.

22 minutes ago, Pvt Power said:

A few questions.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable or different port on the video card?  

Does this happen randomly or after it has been on for awhile?

Does your motherboard have an HDMI port and does this problem occur if you use that instead of your nVidia card?

i know you said you have the latest drivers, but are they the drivers from nVidia or from Windows Update and have you tried to either re-install the latest drivers from nVidia or have you tried an earlier driver version?

if you don't want to re-install windows you might be able to try and use system restore to go back in time to a point where you knew it worked.

if you've done all this then I would definitely be questioning the monitor.  Especially if it's been on as long as you say it has.

yes i have tried a brand new HDMI

this happens at random

I use it through my NVIDIA card

I am also getting the blue screen of death

if its a bad power supply or motherboard then your pc would just crash. There are several reasons though while you might get a black screen

1. bad or lose Display cable)

2.Bad or lose POWER CABLE ( not display)

3. Driver issues ( Check event viewer for display driver crashes)

4. Possible other unknown software

5. Power supply issue ( Normally your pc should crash her or something, or even start. Not sure what kind of PSU you have and how powerfull it is. In general it is always a good finger rule though to calculate power consumtion like this : 350w Mobo, + GPU usage ( this is a bit differenbt but lets be on the high site and say 150-200w there) on top of that you should claculate 100w for usb and other passive cards or HDD/SSD So in general if you have 600 Watt PSU you should be mee on the edge maybe but it should work. If you have 700 or above you should be pretty save from any power issues  ( I like to overkil my because i lower the strain on my psu so i installed a wooping 1200w in my pc) Most Displays have today ther power supply build in and those work or they burn down your house .. there is not sometimes yes and then sometimes not unless the power cable is not sitting good in it.

6. GPU Issues: those are rare. Most comming thing though with what you descripe would be maybe an minor issue with the port. Changing ports on your gpu gives normally a good indication. Other GPU issues are normally seen as artifacts etc. Anything beside that should normally trigger a driver crash actually . But you can sort of check that if you have checked anything else i mentioned above already.

a. Is this happening also when the pc is on idle ? (shake cable. monitor etc , just dont shake your main pc directly ) 

b.Check internal cable from the psu to the gpu (when the computer is turned off) 

c. Run a benchmark as long and often as possible 

d. report back to me with the results .. the more details you can give me what each thing did the more i can make a guess .

Beside that i cant really think of anything else.. Unless russia has hacked your pc and they are connecting to it :P 

I have had a issue like this before, It was  PSU. When you upgrade sometimes it uses more power which in turn causes the old PSU to fail slowly because it can't push the extra power. Here is a PSU calculator http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

You can get a good one for around 80 bucks and it's worth it. 80+ gold is good, Just keep it to name brands like Cosiar, EVGA, and so on...

On a side note, My screen does go black and when it does it's because Nvida driver crashed. This happens sometimes but rarely. I am using a 60 inch tv as my monitor LOL 

• Like 1

Guys I sloved  it. It was the most simple of things you see. 

I conscripted my friend into bringing his monitor over, he went on to my pc and opened the graphics physx window. 

There was a tab that had the graphics process via the CPU. We selected my new GPU from there. 

No more blinking, no more sadness. 

I never did this for my 780 ti either.   My bad fam. My bad. 

On another noteam I still get the blue screen of death randomly but not often. Squad also crashes a lot. 

good to hear you solved one issue ( i totally forgot that some CPU's have build in display hardware ...lol .. need to remember that for the next time ;) )

If you can catch the bluescreen error i can see if i cant figure out what might cause that. Need to know what BSOD error you are getting. There are millions of reasons.. could be overheat as an example or anything else. Millions of possible causes. though if you have win 10 BSOD should only happen if something terrible is wrong so i would not ignore those. SSgt Sicuro seems to have found a good tool it seems. Else there is also the event log that should hold some info of the cause ( unless it is a drive failure ) 

Squad is using Unreal. mhh How much ram do you have ? you could open task manager and let be in the background .. once it crashes be quick to check the graph.. I wonder if it could run out of memory or something like that 

On 6/16/2017 at 0:10 AM, Pvt T. Jenkins said:

its still doing it.... 

I have 16 gigs of ram 

16 gigs is more than enough, the recommended requirements are 6 gigs or more. 

What brand of ram do you have? How many sticks is it? How are they connected to the mobo? Some mobos require dimm 2/4 to be used first, then dimm 1/3.

Also run memtest

Edited by LCpl Towers

• 3 weeks later...