• Hawaii Time Pacific Time Mountain Time Central Time* Eastern Time Western European Eastern European Eastern Daylight

*Official unit time is Central Time. All times posted are in the Unit time unless otherwise indicated.

Training While in SOI

DeSol

Expanding a bit on what Pvt Stewart wrote. . .

Hang out on TS and wait for a global message to pop up that such and such section is looking for x number of fill-ins. Jump down to that channel and let them know you would like to fill in and that you are in SOI. Further, if you are interested in a specific MOS, check out the Calendar for training times for those sections and show up about 20-30 minutes before it kicks off. Let the leader running the training know you are SOI and interested in learning more about the MOS. Most, if not all, leaders here are pretty accommodating. Being respectful about it goes a long way.

26 minutes ago, LCpl Lentz said:

Expanding a bit on what Pvt Stewart wrote. . .

Hang out on TS and wait for a global message to pop up that such and such section is looking for x number of fill-ins. Jump down to that channel and let them know you would like to fill in and that you are in SOI. Further, if you are interested in a specific MOS, check out the Calendar for training times for those sections and show up about 20-30 minutes before it kicks off. Let the leader running the training know you are SOI and interested in learning more about the MOS. Most, if not all, leaders here are pretty accommodating. Being respectful about it goes a long way.

Thank you. I see activities all over the month, but are those all training events and I am free to join them?

You're only "free" to join them if you're either invited to the training, or they request Fill-ins. Otherwise, if you join a training, be respsectful if they don't need Fill-ins. Yes, you can join most trainings, as it applies to Rifle Platoons, Weapons, Gator, Titan, and ACE (You wont be flying). 

Using the Calendar, I recommend the following types of events for ITB students: Rifle Squad (e.g. Archer #-#), Platoon (Archer #), and Weapons Section (Archer 4-#) training events. There are at least one of those per week, often more.

These size of events give a good perspective on working as part of a team that is also part of a squad or section, and platoon. They also have the most need for fill-ins. You get to see a wide level of ranks and experience levels, and the only real expectation on you is to follow orders and keep your head down and hold on as best you can ('cause its gonna get hectic!).

If you are going through MCT, I still recommend similar size events in Gator, Titan, and ACE.

Even if you have friends that are in the unit, stretch yourself and go join a training with complete strangers. We all won't be strangers for long!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sgt Riggenti said:

Using the Calendar, I recommend the following types of events for ITB students: Rifle Squad (e.g. Archer #-#), Platoon (Archer #), and Weapons Section (Archer 4-#) training events. There are at least one of those per week, often more.

These size of events give a good perspective on working as part of a team that is also part of a squad or section, and platoon. They also have the most need for fill-ins. You get to see a wide level of ranks and experience levels, and the only real expectation on you is to follow orders and keep your head down and hold on as best you can ('cause its gonna get hectic!).

If you are going through MCT, I still recommend similar size events in Gator, Titan, and ACE.

Even if you have friends that are in the unit, stretch yourself and go join a training with complete strangers. We all won't be strangers for long!

Thank you. As an SOI student, what can I do for the mission(s) in Gator, Titan, and ACE events? Am I welcomed in law enforcement training as well? What are the differences between the events on the Calender and the "15th... Recruiting Server..."? And would you mind telling me what is "LED"?

Edited by Pvt DeSol

@Pvt DeSol

SOI Students can fill in as basic riflemen, which means they cannot fill any role other than Rifleman, Automatic Rifleman, or Assistant Automatic Rifleman. You would have to ask the ACE or Support Elements if they need anyone to fill those roles. In those vehicles, it would basically be as a passenger.

LED is the Law Enforcement Detachment. Same rule applies, you may fill in as one of those three roles if they need it.

The 15th Recruiting Server is our public server. Anyone may use it if they adhere to the rules, and use the required mods (which are different than the 15th standard set). There you can find pick-up groups. If there are a bunch of 15th members on (15th SOC TeamSpeak tag), I would recommend it. That can happen most any evening, usually on Friday or Saturday evenings.

Here's how you should make contact to politely ask to fill in:

1. Get yours mods in good working order. Test them in an official server. Make yourself loadouts for each of those three roles. You can refer to the Unit Policy Manual, Section 16 for detailed loadouts, and build them in Virtual Arsenal.
  2. Sure fire method is when someone posts in Global that they need fill ins. You can then feel free to join their channel and ask verbally.
  3. Another method is to open a text chat with the owner of the channel 15 minutes prior to the training event start. DO NOT POKE! NEVER USE POKE ON A STRANGER!
    • For example: 15 minutes prior to Archer 4-1's Section training this Saturday night at 1900CST, you send a text chat to the owner of the channel where it looks like everyone is gathering.
    • Ask, "Hello, do you need any fill ins?".
    • They will politely, hopefully, reply, "Yes, good sir, we would very much like to have you fill in with us in Archer 4-1 this fine Saturday evening at 1900CST, for we are a happy bunch and enjoy the company of all willing souls."
  4. Join the channel, follow directions, and have good time fun!

Hope that helps!

Edited by Sgt Riggenti
  • Like 1