• Hawaii Time Pacific Time Mountain Time Central Time* Eastern Time Western European Eastern European Eastern Daylight

*Official unit time is Central Time. All times posted are in the Unit time unless otherwise indicated.

Suggestions: Change Enemy Types/Styles/Armor

Type of Suggestion: Mission

Describe your Suggestion: As is the enemies we're fighting on every map but Takistan are ca. 1980s Russian-style opponents. This isn't really an issue inherently, however:
1) They have THE strongest body armor in the game, capable of resisting several 7.62 AP rounds to center-mass before dying (typically 3-4 on average) and 2-3x as many 5.56 AP rounds. This means basically anything short of a 7.62 rifle is useless.
2) The enemy vehicles have this nasty proclivity to Not Die. We put 3 well-placed HEAT rockets on a BMP-2's engine block and got wasted by it. T-90s are nigh-indestructible.

My suggestion is:
1) Change their armor or the enemy type to something a little easier/simpler to kill. I'm not asking for every enemy to be like the Takistan one-shot-drop insurgents, but US forces dropping in 1 shot compared to ENY forces taking anywhere from 3-12 rounds is ridiculous. Especially for what is, at the end of the day, a casual-play server on a MILSIM game.
2) Cater the armor choice to more destructible vehicles, I guess? Really this is an inherent RHS issue due to the models but there are still several vehicles that are susceptible to AT fire, such as BTRs, BRDMs, up-armored GAZs, and other small-type armored cars.

It might be easy to read this and go "hhheh just git gud oat" but this isn't a sentiment shared only by myself. When the server starts getting even a modicum of lag enemies become nigh-unstoppable aimbot kill gods that take half a mag to drop at point-blank and then can still 720-noscope you with an ironsighted AK on their first round from 400+ meters. Lowering their body armor would make for more enjoyable play while still retaining a fair degree of difficulty.

• Like 9

I'd like to promote this idea as well. There is a lack of balance between OPFOR and BLUEFOR survivability. I've been using standard 15th loadouts kit for the most part and have been cut down handily by the AI on Sahrani, but have had to pump in 3-5 5.56mm rounds center mass before the enemy AI drops. 

• Like 2

I'd like this as well. There are so many frustrating occasions when I am 300m+ away from targets and these dudes with aks run from one side of the map to the other with perfect stamina and just put a round in my head on their first shot. 

As SNA Akif said it is desync for a large part of it. However our ace medical settings make this significantly worse as the AI are unable to go unconscious. The damage threshold that is set for players to knock us out is ignored for them and they require 2 or 3 times the damage for a straight kill. We run without AI unconscious because people walk past bodies/unconscious AI and the AI have a high chance of waking up putting rounds in your back. I've personally seen a fire team killed by this when we used it.

When we added 3CB Factions I went though and shot every single rifleman in every single faction that had body armor, not including vanilla. The late and early Russian units died in 2-3 shots which is realistic (steel with ceramic armor) and was significantly better than the previous RHS VMF units of tanking 5-8 in an editor.

The reason units can take up to 10 or even full mags to kill is pure desync or you're way too far from a target and the round is dying off resulting in minor wounds or bruises.

I understand that a headshot is still a headshot but this is still arma so your headshot sometimes might as well be a slap to the face.

Now when it comes to the vehicles I switched most over to the 3CB Factions to fit but I will agree they are taking more shots than what I previously killed them with in the editor. Desync doesn't effect vehicles anywhere near as drastic as it does infantry so I'll be testing it all over again to see if RHS is easier to kill.

When it comes to fixing this I can't alter units or anything like that. It spawns from the mod default of the units so I would need to change the infantry over to another group/faction. Changing one or two units won't fix this because you'll just end up running into the ones I didn't change eventually so it'll be the entire faction. The vehicles can be changed and mixed and matched so I'll most likely be changing those.

Overall no one here, not even BI, can stop desync and even unarmed targets will eventually eat rounds so this is a fight of the lesser evil. I'll start testing and see what we can go with.

Thank you for your suggestions and if you have others please post them as we don't know all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MSgt T. Caron said:

As SNA Akif said it is desync for a large part of it. However our ace medical settings make this significantly worse as the AI are unable to go unconscious. The damage threshold that is set for players to knock us out is ignored for them and they require 2 or 3 times the damage for a straight kill. We run without AI unconscious because people walk past bodies/unconscious AI and the AI have a high chance of waking up putting rounds in your back. I've personally seen a fire team killed by this when we used it.

When we added 3CB Factions I went though and shot every single rifleman in every single faction that had body armor, not including vanilla. The late and early Russian units died in 2-3 shots which is realistic (steel with ceramic armor) and was significantly better than the previous RHS VMF units of tanking 5-8 in an editor.

The reason units can take up to 10 or even full mags to kill is pure desync or you're way too far from a target and the round is dying off resulting in minor wounds or bruises.

I understand that a headshot is still a headshot but this is still arma so your headshot sometimes might as well be a slap to the face.

Now when it comes to the vehicles I switched most over to the 3CB Factions to fit but I will agree they are taking more shots than what I previously killed them with in the editor. Desync doesn't effect vehicles anywhere near as drastic as it does infantry so I'll be testing it all over again to see if RHS is easier to kill.

When it comes to fixing this I can't alter units or anything like that. It spawns from the mod default of the units so I would need to change the infantry over to another group/faction. Changing one or two units won't fix this because you'll just end up running into the ones I didn't change eventually so it'll be the entire faction. The vehicles can be changed and mixed and matched so I'll most likely be changing those.

Overall no one here, not even BI, can stop desync and even unarmed targets will eventually eat rounds so this is a fight of the lesser evil. I'll start testing and see what we can go with.

Thank you for your suggestions and if you have others please post them as we don't know all.

Any chance of lightening up on how hardcore it is to bring a PC back up from unconsciousness? I think I've spent more time uncon and getting treated then conscious and running around. That's not to say that I'm NOT a bullet magnet, because I really am, but I usually have time to go get something to drink, take a dump, and check the forums before I have any likelihood of getting brought back to consciousness. It's becoming far more appealing to just respawn then wait the 15+ minutes to get brought back up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sgt Zahj said:

Any chance of lightening up on how hardcore it is to bring a PC back up from unconsciousness? I think I've spent more time uncon and getting treated then conscious and running around. That's not to say that I'm NOT a bullet magnet, because I really am, but I usually have time to go get something to drink, take a dump, and check the forums before I have any likelihood of getting brought back to consciousness. It's becoming far more appealing to just respawn then wait the 15+ minutes to get brought back up.

We run the same CBA settings on both the unit servers and pub. People not stabilizing you comes down to a poor understanding of the medical system. Thats not to say that ACE doesn't have its own errors or bugs that can make it impossible to revive someone, they are just rare. We can reduce the blood loss, raise the threshold damage for uncon, among things including CPR chance and epinephrine % wake up but when blood loss, pain, whatever drugs were given to the player, etc come into play we can't predict perfect settings for that. There is also a fine line between players risking their character to engage an enemy and being a bullet sponge that we need to be careful of when anything is altered. These however are not my call and the call of Karelia and Johnston should they choose to edit them.

@Sgt Zahj PM me if you have questions on how the medical system works, most of my casualties get up within 5 mins of me hitting them, sometimes sooner. You might be misunderstanding something inherent to the system.

9 minutes ago, HN (FMF) Vesper said:

@Sgt Zahj PM me if you have questions on how the medical system works, most of my casualties get up within 5 mins of me hitting them, sometimes sooner. You might be misunderstanding something inherent to the system.

I've been treated multiple times by 15th members including Corpsman. It seems to be fairly consistent.