• Hawaii Time Pacific Time Mountain Time Central Time* Eastern Time Western European Eastern European Eastern Daylight

*Official unit time is Central Time. All times posted are in the Unit time unless otherwise indicated.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, GySgt Cariddo said:

Was really looking forward to FOB.. What is the status of it? You still developing it or did you drop it and just make a 2d version? That game looked really good. 

Wow its nice to know someone liked the idea :)

basically i still have it and all the progress made but it's just too much work for one person. I need to hire a few people in order to make the project realistic and i need the money to be able to do that. So yes i still intend to make the 3d version and the 2d version is an attempt to fund the 3d version, if that makes sense. 

The thing about the 2d version though was that I started working on it in march and then suddenly got super busy with other work (asset creation and making animations etc) so i didn't really have time to work on the game. Well, things are  REALLY quiet for me atm so i'm positively blessed with time haha :D 

haha likewise with snake lol :P i used to play it A LOT on my old Nokia phone (haha back when the screen was just green lol)

Regarding FOB well knowing what I know now it would take at least two people (programmer and asset creator minimum) a year to 18 months to have an initial feature complete version if they were focused on the project full time. Lol in the hilariously unsuccesful kickstarter for the game i'd set that value at (converted to dollars) $50,000.

Haha ideally i could have found someone willing to voluneteer in exchange for like 50 percent of whatever we make later on but those kind of propositions always seem dodgy and unreliable (I've had others make similar propositions to me about certain jobs and yeah it doesnt look great lol :P )

The 2d version will take much less time if current progress is any indication. Also a lof of the data classes can be reused/ported when/if i go on to actually finish the 3d version later on :)  

Lol here is a quick video showing an initial implementation of the supply helicopter i posted to facebook last night :P the helipad graphic is just a placeholder lol.....

Edited by Cpl(Ret) K. Byrne

• 2 weeks later...

The more I see how the game works, features & such, then more interested I get in it. I have to come back to you about providing some help in 2018.
You can send me a message if you want to know more

Happy new year & good luck with that infection :) 

Edited by 2ndLt D. Johansen

Hey sure i'll send you a message later when i get the chance :)

Lol in the meantime though I just couldn't resist doing some UI improvements this morning

And thanks my throat is feeling a lot better already :)

• Like 1

Sorry couldn't resist lol. Quick Facebook video showing the first implementation of gunfire/tracer combat in FOB, the game I'm working on :P

Projectiles and sound work but the AI is just awful right now lol. friendly fire at point blank range A LOT :P

• Like 1

So today's Game Development progress. TIME. lol. Well, as it's a staple of base-building games you can now manipulate time in FOB. there are 4 choices; Pause, Normal Speed, Fast and Super Fast :P

I haven't accomodated this into the animation system yet so some animations look a bit weird at 10x time speed (especially the helicopter landing lol) but its working :)

Seeing the engineers work at 10 times their normal speed is fun and also the lighting changes look pretty good IMO

Also the Command Room works now and there is implementation for both a Male or Female base commander depending on player choice :) seemed like a good idea seeing as the commander is basically the proxy for the player in the game world.

Also removed some game breaking bugs from the combat system so showing a bit of that here too :)

All is going super well :D