• Hawaii Time Pacific Time Mountain Time Central Time* Eastern Time Western European Eastern European Eastern Daylight

*Official unit time is Central Time. All times posted are in the Unit time unless otherwise indicated.

Those who like to perform ACE flight missions with simulator gear, what do you use?

I've been considering getting the Logitech G X56 (or an earlier model) set to start getting more experience with flying rotary-wing with more immersion than a keyboard and mouse.

I have recently bought that exact same HOTAS for DCS and I'm loving it. I would highly reccomend getting it if you are looking for a good HOTAS.

However, in my experience flying in ArmA is very simplistic and it makes it much easier to just use a keyboard and mouse. There isn't as many keys required because of the scroll menu, and most aircraft flight models are simplistic enough that you can do everything you need to do fairly well with keyboard and mouse. Specifically for rotary wing aircraft, though, advanced flight model offers you a bit more freedom with how you can operate your aircraft, though I never used it. My recommendation is honestly to stick with keyboard and mouse unless you want to get more into in-depth flight sims like XPlane or DCS. 

If you're looking to get a HOTAS, I would find a few you may be interested in and vary the budget with your selection, including more than and less than what you think you should spend. Then, take those choices, go on a place like Amazon (I primarily use Amazon) and search each item. You will get a good idea of what they may cost there, on other websites, and (more importantly) the reviews. The reviews have always been very genuine on there, and will give you a good idea as to what is worth the buy and what is not. Usually anything above 4 stars is good, 3.5 is pushing the quality. Ultimately, it comes down to what you want.

I would start with a budget controller, don't go spending at the TOP OF YOUR BUDGET right away. Spend a little now, see how it feels. Hell, it may just be a phase and you may end up dipping out on using the HOTAS over time (so you saved money). Alternatively, you'll love it, and know what to expect when looking for something higher in quality. You can then sell your current one (so long as you take care of it) to someone you know who may be looking to do the same (like I did) and buy your new "top notch" one when you're ready.

At the time I purchased my stuff, I believe I made my first choice item at $200 or so; the X52 Pro Logitech Hotas. It was a good buy for what it was worth, decent quality, but the reviews were kinda crappy. However, I took a leap of faith and went for it. It was okay, some software issues, and there was some nit-picky stuff going on with the joystick, nothing major. After a while of using this, I decided upon upgrading to the Thrustmaster Warthog + the Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder. They're working out great for me now. 

To echo @Capt Z. P. Wilson, I started with the X55 back in the day and while i dont recommend it, the X56 is a solid improvement on its predecessor. I would 100% recommend starting with that and then after a few years investing in either a Thrustmaster Warthog(with the upgraded pedals) or with a setup from Virpil.

Also, if you also have the spare cash, i suggest you 100% invest in TrackIR. It's probably the best addition to any flight sim setup and i cannot recommend it enough.