• Hawaii Time Pacific Time Mountain Time Central Time* Eastern Time Western European Eastern European Eastern Daylight

*Official unit time is Central Time. All times posted are in the Unit time unless otherwise indicated.

radio chatter

Douvry

hello, I'm new to arma3 and i bought and joined it because of the videos i have seen from this server, my question is where can i learn the radio chatter that i hear all the time in the videos? the understanding of what is being said and what it requires to be done is what i am seeking. i can find no explanation on you-tube or the forums which is why i am asking here. i want to join in on the server and play  but because i don't know the radio chatter I'm worried about jumping i and messing other peoples games up.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about messing up someone elses game and I'm sure anyone would be glad to help in-game. What your looking for though is radio etiquette and usually playing and listening to the radios is a good way of picking it up.

• Like 1

issue is i am a pilot, i know jack crap about infantry running, usually i run unarmed supply aircraft with troop insertion and extraction along with supply runs, i do not know the radio freq needed or what rules you have in place that a pilot needs to do. is there a specific place that i can go for help with this? is there a location on your forum that has a Q/A with it or someone that i can talk to that can teach me what is required and what is needed for me to join in and be a productive member of the server?

25 minutes ago, 1stLt De Munck said:

Contact any Flight Qualified person in ACE and they'll gladly help you out with proper radio etiquette.

. not sure what ace is or how to contact someone outside of the forums?

If you're eager and don't mind a bit of reading, I'd recommend skimming through the NATO Allied Communications Propublications 125: Communications Instructions—Radiotelephone Procedures: http://www.k1chr.org/ACP 125 (G) Radio Telephone Procedures NOV 2016.pdf

Not all of that document is applicable to what happens in game, but there is a lot of valuable information in there. Especially so for communication on shared tactical nets, which happens regularly on our public server.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pvt J. Lane said:

If you're eager and don't mind a bit of reading, I'd recommend skimming through the NATO Allied Communications Propublications 125: Communications Instructions—Radiotelephone Procedures: http://www.k1chr.org/ACP 125 (G) Radio Telephone Procedures NOV 2016.pdf

Not all of that document is applicable to what happens in game, but there is a lot of valuable information in there. Especially so for communication on shared tactical nets, which happens regularly on our public server.

In regards to this, pages 3A-1 to 3A-7 are particularly useful for common phrases.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Capt Vegas said:

Plain English is also a full proof way 

This. All of the information with the phoenetic alphabet and prowords is shorten the time on the radio with our transmissions and to ensure we are heard, even in unsuitable terrain/slightly out of range. Just hop in and listen to the radio if you aren't comfortable talking, or just wing it and use some plain english. It is the public server, no one is going to have their gameplay ruined. Just remember to preplan what you intend to say, and keep it short and sweet.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I learned by movies and watching combat footage. There’s a large number of videos on YouTube where you can hear military chatter. Like the others said. Short and sweet, and simple. Learn phonetic and other pro words. It also doesn’t hurt to write things down before talking over the net.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rct ODell said:

I learned by movies and watching combat footage. There’s a large number of videos on YouTube where you can hear military chatter. Like the others said. Short and sweet, and simple. Learn phonetic and other pro words. It also doesn’t hurt to write things down before talking over the net.

Be careful with that. Plenty of films and games get things wrong - like Command & Conquer saying "repeat" when "say again your last" is intended.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HN (FMF) Vesper said:

Be careful with that. Plenty of films and games get things wrong - like Command & Conquer saying "repeat" when "say again your last" is intended.

I don't pay attention to video military lingo for that reason. I spent 7 years in Army Cadets. So army terms were drilled into my head. We had a couple reservists support us and they would catch on the "Repeat" thing. No one wants to make it rain again on the last given coords.

• Haha 1