• Hawaii Time Pacific Time Mountain Time Central Time* Eastern Time Western European Eastern European Eastern Daylight

*Official unit time is Central Time. All times posted are in the Unit time unless otherwise indicated.

Deployment 2019 Letters from the Front

Visitors to our forum-

It has been a time honored tradition that during the deployment cycle the troops of the 15th MEU Realism Unit write letters to loved ones detailing missions, activities and thoughts as if they were away from home for the 6-7 months of a typical MEU deployment. This helps with the immersion of the deployment cycle and has, at times been very humorous for members and at times very realistic as they sometimes reflect actual content of letters written from real service members when they were deployed into harms way. 

These letters have, over the last few deployments been posted in the more public area of our forum to allow the casual visitor the chance to get a glimpse of what goes on in a realism unit of our size during the deployment cycle. This thread will be the "Post Office" for our deployment which began earlier this week. 

If you wish to become part of the unit after reading some of these posts or watching some of our videos, don't hesitate to hit the join button, We are always recruiting.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Ma très chère Ève,

Je n'ai pas pu t'écrire avant, mais nous avons été déployé au front en soutien à notre allié. Nous avons enfoncé les lignes ennemies et commencé à sécurisé une ville avec l'espoir de pouvoir en protéger la population et le lieu saint qui y était. Les forces ennemies ont malheureusement réussit à détruire cette mosqué avant que nous puissions sécurisé l'endroit. Ils ont également provoqué de lourdes pertes dans la compagnie.

Je t'écris cette lettre dans un moment de répit car j'ignore si moi ou aucun de mes hommes pourront s'en sortir vivant. Nous n'avons plus beaucoup de munitions et l'eau commence à manquer. Celà va faire trois heures que nous combattons et bientôt deux heures que nous sommes sous un feu nourrit. Nous ne sommes plus très nombreux, mais nos anges gardiens veille suir nous du mieux qu'ils peuvent. Les bombes pleuvent sur les forces enemies pour préservant un moment de plus de la mort.

J'ai entendu à la radio à l'instant que le bataillon nous envoyait des renforts, mais ils devront percer les lignes ennemies qui nous encerclent et j'ignore combien de temps ils mettront à nous rejoindre. Je dois encore faire mon possible pour sortir mes hommes vivant de cet enfer. J'ai aussi tous ces marines morts au combat que je dois rapatrier. J'ignore combien de temps nous pourrons encore tenir, mais j'espère m'en sortir pour pouvoir te revoir.

Je dois retourner à mes hommes maintenant.

Je t'aime et t'embrasse.

Henry

My dear Eve,

I could not write to you before, but we were deployed to the front in support of our ally. We broke down the enemy lines and started securing a city with the hope of being able to protect the people and the holy place that was there. The enemy forces have unfortunately managed to destroy this mosque before we can secure the place. They also caused heavy losses in the company.

I write you this letter in a moment of respite because I do not know if I or any of my men will be able to escape alive. We do not have a lot of ammunition and the water is running out. It will be three hours that we fight and soon two hours that we are under constant fire. We are not many, but our guardian angels watch us as best they can. Bombs rain on enemy forces to preserve one more moment of death.

I heard on the radio right now that the battalion was sending us reinforcements, but they will have to break through the enemy lines that encircle us and I do not know how long they will take to join us. I still have to do my best to get my men alive from this hell. I also have all those marines killed in action that I have to repatriate. I do not know how much more time we can hold, but I hope to get out of it so I can see you again.

I have to go back to my men now.

I love you and kiss you.

Henry

Edited by 1stSgt H. Mitchell
  • Like 3

Dear Rachel,

It has been rough, one of the toughest days by far. Last deployment casualties and combat was light compared to now. On the first day alone we had a 100% casualty rate. Of which about 60% were KIA, many were dead before I could get to them. Now i'm sitting in a compound in a mud hut that we chose as our casualty care center. The fighting has died down for now, but many people only have 4 magazines if that between them, myself with 3 for my rifle and 2 for my pistol. We're surrounded on 3 sides by the enemy with a large force of tanks to our north and infantry west and south, to the east friendly indigenous forces. I don't hold out much hope for them they seem to be under trained and under armed. Sometimes I wonder why I'm here, then I realized it's to protect you and save as many marines as I can. Don't worry about me you'll see me again.

Sincerely,

Tyler

Edited by HM3 (FMF) T. T. Nguyen
  • Like 1

Ralph,

Want to know what I'm doing? I'm sitting in the shade of the crew compartment, sipping iced tea from a carton, and listening to the same bluegrass music we play every cookout and birthday party. It's just a short break, but it's almost like I'm on vacation, huh?

You should see the mountains in this country. They're nothing like the ones back home. Being all brown and devoid of trees, they feel massive and ancient. I get a chill every time I look at them. I wonder what it would be like to go fly close to them, but that's where the bad guys are right now. And these are truly bad people we're fighting, Ralph. I can't say that I'm not nervous, but I know we're doing the right thing here, which deeply reassures me.

Do me a favor and don't worry too much about what you see in the news. Right now they're probably saying some of our boys in the field are in an awful place, which is true. But what they don't tell you is that everyone here is tough, and your big brother is getting ready to go give 'em a hand. I'll show these people how rednecks like us do things.

I'm sorry I missed your graduation, but I heard you did so with honors. I'm certain our family couldn't be more proud of you. I know you were thinking about college after school, but don't think it's your only option. Just do me a favor if you decide on aviation and don't be like your idiot brother and fly for Devil Dog Air. Go fly for an airliner, someplace that's less hazardous and pays more.

Visit our grandparents for me. Offer to help around the house or the farm if you can. Neither will be around forever, and you should be spending enough time with them for both of us.

I miss you all. Every time I look up at the clouds, I imagine I'm home. When I get back, I'll take you and everyone else who asks out for a ride over the farm and the mountains.

No worrying, ya hear?

"Country boys can survive."

Evan

P.S. Seriously, there's almost no trees here. It's just plain wrong!

Edited by Capt Schirf
  • Like 1

Papa,

Sorry dat ik nog niets heb laten weten, maar ik heb het de afgelopen dagen enorm druk gehad.

De Luchtcomponent is uiteindelijk aangekomen en de Vipers zijn nog allemaal in één stuk ;). (Kheb hier wel geen potteke Zap als er iets mocht gebeuren...)

Kunde zo snel mogelijk aan Oma laten weten dat alles inorde is met mij? Ik wil niet da ze zich zorgen maakt hé... 

Het is hier fucking warm btw, de laatste keer dak zo veel heb gedronken was toen we de laatste keer Advocaat hebben gemaakt voor Kerstmis.

Ik pak volgende keer mijnen DLG mee want er zijn hier vrij veel bergen in de omgeving voor thermiek te pakken, de SSO's spelen hier toch met hun drones dus zo gek zou het niet zijn als ik hier wa begin te smijten he :).

De Amerikanen hier hebben mij al een paar keer uitgelegd hoe voetbal werkt maar ik snap er geen kloten van. Sjotten doet ge met uw voeten he...

Over uitleggen gesproken, ze kunnen mijne naam nog altijd ni uitspreken he... De Munich of Munich heb ik al 100 keer te veel moetten horen...   

Vorige week hebben we onze éérste missie gevlogen, sommige van de Jongens hebben het niet gehaald.

Er was veel miscommunicatie met de Mariniers wat er voor gezorgd heeft dat ik pas laat ben gestart met mijn werk.

Kijk niet te veel naar het nieuws van bij ons want da's toch nooit ni juist.

Ik mis ulle allemaal enorm en ik kan ni wachten tot ik terug stateside vlieg. (Ik pak direct den eerste vlieger terug naar België).

Zeg tegen Dylan da ik nog ergens Gletschereis snoep heb liggen in mijn kamer. (Schuif onder mijnen bureau, bovenste lade, blauw potteke :).) (Ik verwacht wel dat er nog 1tje overblijft voor mij als ik terug kom he.)

Allez, meer dan dees ga ik ni schrijven want anders gaat ons ma beginnen te blijten peis ik (Als ze al ni aant blijten is...)

Veel liefs,

Björn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dad,

Sorry that I haven't written yet but I have been extremely busy during these last couple of days.

The Air Component has finally arrived and all of our Vipers are still in one piece ;). (I don't have any super glue with me incase something breaks so we're kinda fucked.)

Can you let Grandma know ASAP that I'm ok? I don't want her to worry about my safety. 

It's really fucking warm here btw, the last time that I drank this much was when we made that Eggnog together for Christmas.

Next time I deploy over here remind me to pack my DLG please, there are a lot of mountains in the area which would be perfect for gliding. The Marine SSO's are playing around with their drones so it wouldn't be that weird when I suddenly start to launch my hand glider.

The Americans have tried to explain me how Football works but I don't understand it. You told me to kick the ball with my feet when I was a kid...

Speaking about explaining stuff, I've heard people misspell my name about 100 times already... 

We flew our first combat mission last week, but some of the boys on the ground didn't make it back unfortunately.

There was a lot of misscommunication between the Marines and our Aircraft which led to me having to wait with engaging targets until it was already too late...

Don't look at the news from over here please. We'll probably be displayed as the bad guys anyway eventhough we're not the ones gassing entire villages.

I miss you guys a lot and I can't wait until I return Stateside (I'm taking the first plane back to Belgium if I'm allowed to leave the country.)

Tell Dylan that I still have some Gletschereis Candy stored away in my room. (Check the first drawer under my desk, inside of the blue box :D ) . (He can eat them if he wants, but I do expect to have atleast one remaining for myself when I return home.)

Alright, I'm gonna finish up here otherwise Mom will start crying when you read this to her. (If she's not crying already...)

Lots of love,

Björn

Edited by 1stLt De Munck
  • Like 2

Maj D. A. Thomas

Headquarters, 15th MEU(SOC)

FPO San Francisco, California 96519

Patti and kids-

I got the package of cookies you sent the other day at mail call, most of them were intact but some of them were a little worse for wear due to the hazards of shipping them a few thousand miles.  It was a great taste of home and Lt Bruce and the Ops planners loved them.  We had an issue with one of the Lance Corporals last week.  He was assigned mess duty and didn't like working with the Navy mess men.  He was told to clean the bulkhead and overhead in Officer's country and decided it would be a good idea to fill a bucket of water and throw it into to air to "clean off" the pipes in the overhead.  He didn't think it through very well as the water got into an electrical junction box some electricians had left open while they went to Mid-rats.  Needless to say the Marine in question had an appointment to speak with Maj Murphy this morning and the electricians are still trying to get the lights working in that area.  

India Company has been tasked with a mission, you have probably already heard, and have taken some casualties.  I will be flying into the AO this afternoon to get HQ a report on the situation.  What started as a show of force with a single company may turn into a full Battalion deployment.  We had hoped the aggressor forces would see Americans and decide it wasn't worth the effort but it looks like they have a bug up their ass and we will need to remove it.  

I'm tired baby.  I'm tired of watching young men full of promise go off to a foreign land and leave a huge part of themselves there, if they even make it home.  I've been lucky.  I have seen the elephant and seen it again and again, but every time I leave a little bit more of my soul behind.  It takes longer to snap back to the man you fell in love with every time I come home.  It was easier when I was leading men into the fray, sharing their danger and their pain.  Laughing at the gallows humor with everyone else when all I wanted to do was curl up in a corner and lose myself in the horror I see in my mind.  I had to be strong then.  These guys were looking to me when they were scared.  I had to have the answers even when I didn't I had to look like I did.  Now I sit in an office or fly in for a day or two and then fly back out.  I don't share the hazards of their every day life and it's all I can do to keep this up.  The looks I get from these tired filthy kids who a few days ago had never heard a shot fired in anger when they see me fly into the area they just fought for with my clean, crisply pressed uniform and my security detail make me ashamed to have it so easy.  I try to be the best I can be but it is getting harder and harder.

I will write soon, until then know I carry your pictures in my plate carrier and think of you often.

Dave

• Like 1

Hey Dad,

Finally found some time to get a letter out to you. I'm quite blessed to not be in a bivouac or some mud hut right now, though I suppose this heat hits us all even if you're in some concrete slab building like I am. Y'know, it was all so sudden. One minute I'm taking off from the Matthew Barton and heading in towards Djibouti for a lazy little flyaround, and it seems like a few minutes after, it's night, and here I am dropping Paveways on oil tanks and Shilkas. Apparently our detachment did a damn good job cleaning up the Sahilian's air defense network. After about thirty minutes of hunting we didn't get bothered that much anymore.

It's been a rather exciting past few weeks- finally getting my flight qualification was a blast. I got drunk, and then got an earful from some squid after I nearly toppled over the railing because of it. I feel bad because I should have been setting the example as an officer, but.. I guess it's all right to let loose on days like that, you know. We were only in Djibouti for a short bit, we flew once in a while- the most exciting it got there was when myself and other Black Sheep bird got scrambled and intercepted some Cessna. Dude was shook, we just turned him out of restricted airspace and let him loose. 

Then the deployment order came. It was close, there was buildup in the region. I didn't expect Sahil to do something that bold with us in the region, but life's full of surprises, isn't it? They must have been sure as hell to see the Stallions swing in and dump off India Company. I've got mad respect for those ground pounders of ours, especially with the threat of chemical weapons in the region. When you're never flying below a few thousand feet like we are, it's a little easy to feel the disconnect, but all Marines are brothers and sisters. That's what you said, right? I hope I can find one of their SCUDs somewhere and blow it up, that'd be a good feeling. 

I'm sure you're curious about the mysterious land your son has found himself in. What's it like, how it feels.. I'll tell you you're not missing much. It's sandy but not really a desert, consistently hot and iffy, and filled with fucking horseflies. I thought wearing a flightsuit would help but the fuckers go for the nose and the cheeks. One of those bastards bit me when I had just popped the canopy open and I smacked the thing so damn hard as it was flying off you can still see a bit of the stain on the glass in the cockpit. Got quite a laugh about that, and I exhausted the tiny ass bottle of smartphone screen cleaner that I had.

Anyways I'm running out of paper. Gotta love my big handwriting. Tell mom I love her and I miss her. Hopefully this is over soon and I can come back home.

-Charles 

• Like 1

Llegue Papa,

Me imagino que estas leyendo esto mientras estas viendo Noticentro o un canal Americano de noticias cubriendo todo lo que esta ocurriendo aca. Bueno para empezar estoy bien, no puedo decir lo mismo de muchos otros que estan aqui conmigo o en el area. Tenemos muchos heridos y bastantes muertos . Tampoco puedo decir que tenemos suficientes cartuchos , pero tu me eseñaste conservar mis cartuchos cuando hibamos al poligono de tiro en Toa Baja o el de la Kennedy. De lo que he escuchado nos van a mandar refuerzos ya mismo pero require que ellos rompan por las lineas del enemigo. El enemigo… puedo decir que pelean bastante bien pero tienen mas odio hacia al pais que estamos defendieno que a nosotros, claro no nos quieren en el camino de su conquista. Tienen mucho equipaje Ruso y Sovietico especificamente su rifle de combate es la AK-74 y tu sabes que yo quiero una pero pues eso tendra que esperar, estoy mas enfocado en todo el mundo alrededor mio. Siendo honesto yo los miro y lo unico que veo es una de dos cosas: miedo o preocupacion. es la primera vez que estoy en combate y no puedo decir que es el mejor lugar pero con esto hay que trabajar.

El pais es como un Cabo Rojo pero menos vegetacion y no hay mucho viento. No he visto a nadie menos los soldados del pais, el Staff Sergeant dice que la mayoria se han ido lejos a centros de refujiados pero que pueden ver algunos granjeros en el area aun. Hace Calor Bueno, es comparable cuando Huracan Maria literalmente nos dejo en aquel infierno pero por lo menos habia lluvia a cada rato. Bueno aqui corto la carta , prometo escribir cuando pueda para contarte de la situacion. mandale bendiciones a Abuela Teresa y Abuela Rosa, cuentale a Ma y dile que estoy bien.

Escribo cuado pueda, los quiero a todos.

-Jose J Orsini

PS: Gracias por el regalo de Cumpleaños, ahora si que me puedo concentrar con mi musica a mi lado.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I made it Dad

I imagine that you're reading this while watching Noticentro o an American news channel covering everything that's happening over here. Well to begin I`m alright, I can`t say the same for those around me that are here with me or in the area. We have a lot of Wounded and many dead, we don`t have much ammo left, but you taught me how to conserve my ammo when we would go to the shooting range in Toa Baja or the one next to the Kennedy. From what I've heard they`re going to send us reinforcements very soon but they first need to break through enemy lines. The enemy... I can say that they fight pretty well but they have more hatred to the country we`re defending , of course they don`t want us here because we`re in the way of their conquest of this country. They've got a lot of Russian and Soviet gear, specifically their primary service rifle is the AK-74 and you know how much I've wanted one but well that can wait, I'm more worried about everyone around me. being honest I look at them and I only see one of two things: Fear or worry, its the first time I'm in combat and I can't say that its the place to be in right now but I guess we'll just have to deal with it. 

This country is like Cabo Rojo but less vegetation and there's not much wind. I haven't seen anyone else besides the local soldiers, The Staff Sergeant says the majority of the civilian population have gone far to refugee camps but that we may see some farmers in the area still. Its really hot, well its comparable to when hurricane Maria literally left us in that small hell but at least there was some rain from time to time. Here have to end the letter, I promise to write when I can to tell you about the situation, send blessings and my love to grandma Teresa and Grandma Rosa, Tell Mom about this and tell her that I'm alright.

I'll write when I can, love you all

-Jose J Orsini

PS: Thanks for the birthday gift, Now I`m really going to be able concentrate with my music at my side.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Family

I know I haven't written or contacted anyone since I left but I'm contacting everyone in general to let them know I'm still alive, Mom. When you get this letter let those who care if anyone does know I'm fine, I'm living my dream as I used to say. I only wish I could wake up from this one. It's hot, we're in the middle of no where. I can't tell you where we are, who we're up against or how many, but... just know theirs a lot more than them then their is of us and they're all hellbent on killing us. This is going to get dark I'm sorry... I've seen bodies on top of bodies some were friends, a lot more were bad guys so I guess we're winning on the imaginary scoreboard, I hope I don't become one of those bodies... pray for me that I don't, we're all scared, I'm scared but I know I have a job to do and I know what I signed up for... If I could do it again I would for the Marine next to me... that was lame and so cliche but anyways so I want you to know that I'm safe, I'll start writing more, I love you.

Lastly whatever you do, don't let what you hear/see/read on the news effect you, have hope. I'll be home soon.

Love Mike

Edited by Pvt M. Carter
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My Love, 

I'm writing to you from our COP in a land that is alien to any American, a barren landscape that is absent of any familiar vegetation. The houses are constructed out of an ancient mud that disintegrates when you brush against it, and the dust inundates everything on your person my boots, weapon, blouse, rucksack, and every nook and cranny of your body. So far our time out here has been productive, we are fighting alongside a people who are determined to defend themselves against an enemy who is hell bent on exterminating them from existence. Their ferocity is commendable, and the generosity of the liberated people in this region is awe-inspiring.  We have made steady progress, and aside from a few broken trucks we are no worse for wear. I wish I could tell you more but I quite simply can't. I am unharmed, except for the loss of a few pounds, and some sore feet. 

I miss our home, bed, my chair, but I miss you most of all, your infectious smile, gentile touch, and cutting wit. I keep your picture on the inside of my vest, next to my heart, wrapped in plastic so I can gaze on your face every morning and evening when I put it on and take it off. The care package you sent has been a hit with my squad mates, the coloring books keep us occupied when we have down time, oh no more crayons please some other Marines find them tasty ha, toothbrushes and teeth picks are invaluable for digging out the remnants of MRE's cleaning our rifles, 240's, and sidearms, not to mention the multiple logs of SNUS have kept us humming, and the baby wipes and body powder keep me cool in this oppressive heat. I long for the day when I return to our home, and grab a cold beer from the fridge, after working in the yard, and enjoying a shower. I will hold you in my arms soon, give my love to my mother, father, and the rest of the family. I will write them in time, but I need to let you know that I am alright. Give Brutus a good scratch I hope he is keeping you good company and being a good dog! I love you more than you can fathom and you are always in my thoughts. 

You are my heart beat 

Love,

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Sarah,

I know I said my last letter I would write was 4 years ago. But, when I heard that my brothers were going off to a new conflict zone I had to get back behind the reigns again. I’m with a new section this time. Weapons platoon so don’t worry, I’ll be far off from the front line compared to last time when I was with the grunt guys. The guys are great. Real bunch of odd balls but I love them like my old unit. We got a bunch of boots in our squad. Real uneasy bunch. Hiett spends too much time on the trigger. I’m constantly yelling at him to ease up on it. Mashburn reminds me a lot of Sander except on the opposite spectrum. Always way too close but not what I want him to do. From what I hear Rhoades just got back in country the other day but I haven’t seen him yet.

Writing these letters in this heat is hard. I’m constantly dripping sweat onto the paper. Always sitting on stand by waiting for a unit to request for our assistance. Babe, it must be so easy being in the riflemen squad because you no longer have to lug around a 249. Then again I’m not the one carrying our 240’s. I miss you Sarah. Yesterday was our 6th year together. All the guys gave me some massive flak when I showed them a picture of you I always keep in that little pouch you got me. Saying stuff like “your new and only love is the 240.” They truly are a special bunch. But we have a good crew and we haven’t really been hit too hard. I’ll spare you some of the details so your heart doesn’t explode from worry. Well, anyways I have to wrap this letter up Sweetheart we’re about to go out on another little mission. I love you hun.

Yours truly, 

John

Edited by Pvt J. Kirk

Dear Aaron,

Hey hun, I finally got back into pilot school again, and I'm already feeling better. I know it's weird, a doctor becoming a pilot, but honestly I've missed it, it's more like a pilot became a doctor. My first operation as a pilot went well, mostly just provided visual aid to our forces the whole time, not gonna go into detail about what happened for security reasons and so that you don't worry but everyone came out fine on our end. 

We got word our deployment is almost done, so we'll be coming back to the states so we can do our outgoing ITX and i'll get a bit of time to fly over and see you before that starts. So don't fret, you'll see me soon, no timeframe yet but I'm hoping within the month we'll be done, then a couple weeks to pack up and ship back. We'll be given a week to see our families and then it'll be off to training again. You know how it goes by now I've been here 7 years. 

I love you dearly Aaron, take care of the cats, let Carmen know she can scream at me soon. 

Sincerely Yours,
Jam Jam

• Like 2

Mama,

How are the pups? I’m sure Stitch misses me cuddling with him when I was on my lunch break’s. He sure has gotten big. I know I said the last time I would write a letter to ya was if I had no other means of hearing from ya. But like I just told Sarah I had join back up once I heard my boys were going back into a dangerous zone. When I joined back up Sgt Rush was their to greet me in country. Just a few weeks after that he went to our sister grunt unit. Though recently my MG section got paired up with our sister grunt unit and Rush was our Plt Sgt so no need to worry he’ll keep us safe in Weaps Plt. 

I can’t remember the last day I held stitch. Every day smashes into the next and I’m starting to forget. I remember when ranger first had the pups and stitch went right to my hand. That pup had the fight in him just like I had when I was younger. Haha imagine that. Mama sometimes I’m scared. As a prior service member sometimes I’m expected to step up. Lead a squad as a PFC when I got guys that are Sgt’s And Cpl’s that are my age. All these guys give their lives and their futures to me. It’s a scary thought. I don’t want to let them down. Most of our new guys meet me and ask what they should expect in country and I can’t give them a straight answer because I want to make sure these boys get home safe. Rush has caught me on several occasions lost in nothing but a loop of turmoil because I want to bring these boys home safe. I know what it’s like to come home without a scratch on me but these guys are so new they haven’t got dust on their cammies. I’m scared. I love you Mama. 

Your son,

John

Edited by PFC J. Kirk

Papa, 

How are my sisters doing? I hear Katie should be starting her second year here in the next month. Some days I wish I would have just took my ROTC scholarship to Norwich and became an officer. But here I am stuck with the boots on the ground. Shit’s rough here. I didn’t want to tell Mama but during our last large scale operation. But my MRAP actually got hit by an RPG. Luckily our doc was there to get us all patched up. Just some minor cuts and burns other than that I’m fine. Nothing like almost dying in Greece while acting as a medic on the first helicopter ride ever like Uncle Tom. I still carry that coin he gave me back in 2015 when I first joined. 

How’s Kelly doing? I hear she’s killing it in Rugby for the Highschool. Like father like son like sister. She was always a chip off the old block like me. Mama always said me and her were a clone of each other just born at different times and different genders. 

So a little update after sending mama that letter I was officially mate the Team Leader for 4-1-1A and by buddy Rhoades got promoted up to Squad Leader because Rush got moved up to Platoon Sergeant for Archer 1. Though they did some restructuring and now my squad falls under Archer 1. It’s reassuring that i know I’m still under Rush. That man has helped me through a lot of hard times. Even for me coming in initially before him then I get out and get back in it’s nice having someone that shares my common mindset and has my back no matter what corner I’m in. Rhoades has been doing a good job of stepping up even though he’s younger than me. But he’s doing a good job.

Well I got a new Pvt just the other day. Cloud. Goofy mofo but he’s good. Got him spun up and looks like he’s gonna do well. Has high spirits about the whole ordeal. He’s so happy go lucky that I don’t want to ruin that spirit. At the same time I don’t want to get his hopes up that he’ll get home safe. I’ve had friends before that haven’t come home. The toughest thing here is not the enemy. It’s gathering their belongings and writing home to their family that their boy didn’t make it. Well some of the boy’s got some liquor for us so here’s to all them and the ones I knew that didn’t make it. Well I’m gonna end the letter here and join my guys for a bit of a good night in country. 

Your Son,

Bub

• 3 months later...

Katie,

Hey sis. I know its been a while since I called home to Mama and Papa. We recently got deployed to a new island. It’s a mess down here. (Please don’t tell mama because I know she’ll freak) During our first mission we suffered heavy hits all across the board. Don’t worry I’m fine. Maybe a few more scars to add to my collection. But the boys, even through all their joking, were nervous. Things went south. A lot of stuff happened. To put it bluntly a guy I was talking to for five minutes I had to kill only 2 minutes afterwards. I still think about his family that he left behind. 

After that mission I was on recovery for the next one. The nurses were nice. All navy and some good looking gals at that minus the Doc’s. It was a nice little recovery though I heard my boys got slammed hard. Luckily I have a hard charger of a Sgt underneath me that lead the boys. We’re still under strengthed but I heard that they did amazingly even with their big ass guns. 

We just had a mission. I can give all the details but your brother managed to keep out of harms way even though I was looking for trouble to make sure my guys were safe. We had a few guys come and latch onto us and they did well too. Although one was Everett, that asshat and I keep finding each other.  It’s crazy. Although he did get his toe ran over by a vehicle today. But we all made it out alive today without major injuries so thats good. 

Can you let mama know that I won’t be able to call her back for a bit? I know she began majorly worrying about me ever since I joined as an 0331. But my guys need me. Even as a lower rank they always look up to me. Seeking me out for advice. Hell even some of the other marines look towards me for guidance. It’s what I have to do now. This is my life again. But as their squad leader I have to be that beacon. Also low key can you send some more poki’s? I miss that shit ever since I left Oki.

Your Borther,

Johnny