• Hawaii Time Pacific Time Mountain Time Central Time* Eastern Time Western European Eastern European Eastern Daylight

*Official unit time is Central Time. All times posted are in the Unit time unless otherwise indicated.

I've been randomly losing connection. It immediately Reconnects every time. Sometimes i go all day with no problem. Other times I loose connection every 10 minutes. Most times is happens when I Am on my PC and my Wife or kids are on Netflix or using another Internet device. I connect through a telephone line. If you need any more info to diagnose the problem I may be having let me know. I am not quite sure how to solve it, but i know I didn't have issues before. They started suddenly about 3 months ago.

Edited by Sgt Mandaville

Sounds like your router or modem is starting to go. If you have a day where no one else needs to be on the internet, plug your PC directly into your modem and see if you have any problems through out the day. If not, it's the router. If you do, either your modem is the problem, or something exterior of your house. 

I don't know what your ISP's package is for your internet, could be a chance that they are throttling you or prioritising others on the line first. Happens a lot to me, just get on the phone, threaten to leave for a better deal somewhere else, get yourself a fix and possibly a free deal. Though chances are it's what Zahj said and it could be bye bye time for the router. 

However some questions, does it cut out on just the PC or is all devices connected cut from it? Is there any other internet devices between the router and the PC that may cause interference (though this shouldn't be the case due to cable protection)? What time of day does it happen most and does it happen when doing anything specific?

@Cpl ScullionYes, all devices get Cut for only a moment and then it reconnects. I can see the Drop from the Modem Lights so I don't think its the router, I don't have a Modem-Router-Combo.There are no other devices between the Router and the PC; Wall Outlet > Modem > Router > PC. Most times is happens when I Am on my PC and my Wife or kids are on Netflix or using another Internet device's, and it happens mostly in the evenings but not necessarily confined to that.

Edited by Sgt Mandaville

@Sgt Mandaville I would get onto your ISP and see what they can tell you about it from their side, mostly they'll run through their useless BS such as speed tests and changing to dual-band and such to lighten the load even though in my experience it doesn't do much. Currently I have the same kind of issue and the engineer that comes out to change my router has come out enough to 'fix' issues that we've gotten to know each other and he tells me even with an unlimited plan or any plan, that the ISP will tend to throttle you especially at peak times to adhere to everyone on the line, kind of like trying to balance it out which can sometimes cause the drops. It can happen at weird times as well like late at night or early mornings as well but sometimes he says that may be due to maintenance.

My modem is built into the wall and sometimes the cable between it and the router may also fall loose, it can literally happen at random times or sometimes there can be dust or debris in the socket at the modem which can cause issues as well. I suggest when you have some free time to just scan over the hardware for anything that looks odd.

Apart from that I can't really suggest more, you could try allocating a device to the DMZ, Dual-banding (if your router supports it) and even clearing some useless ports. Hopefully you get it all figured out.

• Thanks 1

@Cpl ScullionI purchase a new Modem-Router-Combo. Should be here by the 8th, no later. Hoping this solves my issue because if it doesn't then it means it's definitely my ISP. God knows I most likely wont get anywhere with them, but It'll be my only recourse to at least try.

Edited by Sgt Mandaville
  • Like 1