• Hawaii Time Pacific Time Mountain Time Central Time* Eastern Time Western European Eastern European Eastern Daylight

*Official unit time is Central Time. All times posted are in the Unit time unless otherwise indicated.

Hey all I have been trying to fix this for a couple of days now. I thought I had found a fix but it slowly started to come back it does have me a bit concerned. Before I get started it is a Geforce 780M (Yes a laptop and yes an Alienware not relevant) and it has served me well for nearly 3 years.  

Time of this report: 3/30/2017, 14:41:18
       Machine name: ASIANJR
   Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_ltsb.170204-0600)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Alienware
       System Model: Alienware 17
               BIOS: A08
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4900MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
             Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32692MB RAM
          Page File: 6907MB used, 30647MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.17415 64bit Unicode

Basic information: The issue only started occurring a few days back after exiting GTA V (strangely enough). But I think it was an issue waiting to happen regardless of the program. The only possible cause I could think of is that I recently updated my driver to the latest version. 

Where does it occur: It happens both on my desktop and in-games, I noted with some programs it did occur where other's did. For example Desktop, Osiris New Dawn, and ArmA almost consistently had the issue, GTA V didn't... it does now. I checked the Hertz setting for each item and all were at 120 hz (the references to hertz will make more sense below).

To make more sense of the last bit

When the issue first started happening my desktop area was having the issue same with Osiris. When I tested GTA V however the issue didn't occur.

Upon changing my refresh rate to 120 hz it seemed to had fixed the issue. 

Then fast track a few days it's now re-occurring slowly but surely everywhere. As we speak desktop is fine, but it did have some initial flicker, and ArmA was completely freaking out. 

Okay so what have I tried to fix the issue:

1) Change resolutions

2) Refresh bios back to default

3) Change refresh rate (NOTE: Switching it from 60 hz to 120 hz actually has somewhat fixed it, but as I said it's slowly creeping back)

3.a) Installed Hardware Temperature monitor, as I live in Australia and do not have aircon it can get quite warm but my temps seem to read okay

3.b) Disabling Teredo Tunneling Adapter (which has re-enabled itself) this was a suggestion I found online to a similar issue (Not sure if this really is affecting it, so not going to disable it again unless necessary as I had fixed the issue with changing the refresh rate) 

-------The issue went away for a day but now it has come back-----

4) Reinstalling the GPU driver

5) Uninstalling and reinstalling previous GPU driver Version 378.78 (prior to the update)

6) Testing different refresh rates... I have noted the lower I set the hertz the more common the flickering. 

7) Checking other components for driver updates... such as my intel i7 processor

8) In false hope after this post I will probably check for windows updates.

My concern: Ultimately to me it seems like a GPU issue, I am hoping it may just be a software glitch. My main concern is that my GPU may be dying it's not too old but nothing is really built to last these days... or at least last that well. 

Things to note: When I take screenshots it does not appear, which means it's not from software (well besides potentially GPU or something more intensive like that). 

What I would like to know: If anyone else has had this issue or might know what is causing the issue and if there is a fix that doesn't involve $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ .

Lastly I recorded the issue it is really faint but you should be able to see it. Again just imagine 2 really fine white lines that flicker in and out any where from 2 - 30 seconds depending. It seems like it may be refresh rate or even heat but besides changing hertz I am unsure where else to check or what else to do. 

Edited by 2ndLt Bates

Have you considered it might be the screen acting up on the Laptop? I'm not very familiar with laptops, but maybe the backlight is going out or something. Try pluging your Laptop into a TV via a HDMI cable and see if the problem continues on the TV. If it occurs, its a hardware issues on the Laptop. If not, then I'd consider your screen as a culprit.

Something else you could do is try checking out Event Viewer, its a good way to identify any serious issues that may be going on in the background without you even realizing

1. Right click your windows button and click Event Viewer.

2. Windows logs -> Then System.

3. Search for any vital errors or critical happening on your PC. Sometimes even the 'Information' tabs can have some evidence behind them.

Also, here's a thread I found online if this helps any - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/thin-vertical-white-lines-on-monitor/095aec34-8fd8-404c-aea6-92cb498ef77b

Another one I found - http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Vertical-white-line-on-the-laptop-screen/td-p/3835370

Hope this helps somewhat, just throwing in some Troubleshooting advice.

Edited by PFC A. A. Young
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, PFC A. A. Young said:

Have you considered it might be the screen acting up on the Laptop? I'm not very familiar with laptops, but maybe the backlight is going out or something. Try pluging your Laptop into a TV via a HDMI cable and see if the problem continues on the TV. If it occurs, its a hardware issues on the Laptop. If not, then I'd consider your screen as a culprit.

Something else you could do is try checking out Event Viewer, its a good way to identify any serious issues that may be going on in the background without you even realizing

1. Right click your windows button and click Event Viewer.

2. Windows logs -> Then System.

3. Search for any vital errors or critical happening on your PC. Sometimes even the 'Information' tabs can have some evidence behind them.

Also, here's a thread I found online if this helps any - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/thin-vertical-white-lines-on-monitor/095aec34-8fd8-404c-aea6-92cb498ef77b

Another one I found - http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Vertical-white-line-on-the-laptop-screen/td-p/3835370

Hope this helps somewhat, just throwing in some Troubleshooting advice.

Thank you for the quick reply to answer your question.

Yeah I did consider that which is saddening, I had thought of testing a monitor via HDMI but I suppose it was more trying to rule everything else out.,

Upon checking Event Viewer I have found warnings that have mentioned the following. 

"The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 14 seconds since the last report." 

It isn't always 3 the number changes any where from 1 - 7 .

As for errors just a few network ones but nothing else. 

Edited by 2ndLt Bates

I would definitely check this link out. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Vertical-white-line-on-the-laptop-screen/td-p/3835370

As far as "Speed is limiting processor" error, sounds as if its some of your firmware is probably ourdated. I just did a bit of research on it, many people have the same Error, with no fixes in sight. Fortunately nobody reported of it being anything serious. 

Sadly, it may be a hardware issue, or something deep rooted in the BIOS. Which Alienware is it?

Edited by PFC A. A. Young
  • Like 2

Bates,

Does this happen in BIOS? If it's happening when you launch windows and/or BIOS, then it is certainly a hardware issue.  If you are talking about that bright white single line of pixels at the bottom of your screen, that is typical of an LCD issue.  It could be the LCD cable, but that's pretty unlikely.  If it was the LCD cable you would see changes depending on the orientation of your monitor (move it back and forth a few inches).

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of response Steever.... didn't notify me. Well as a follow up I actually ended buying a new laptop. Well worth the $$$ as it's running ArmA on Ultra at 60 fps (even the recruiting server). But the reason why I am posting here is because I am now testing my Samsung TV screen via HDMI.... the issue is only occurring on the laptop monitor. And only when the screen is lower than 120 hz. It never use to happen but I think it may just be age sadly. 

And yes it was happening in BIOS. Thank you for your response. The cheap at dirty fix is just ensuring the screen is at 120 hz.

-Bates