• Hawaii Time Pacific Time Mountain Time Central Time* Eastern Time Western European Eastern European Eastern Daylight

*Official unit time is Central Time. All times posted are in the Unit time unless otherwise indicated.

Deployment 2017- Letters from the front

Visitors to our forum-

It has been a time honored tradition that during the deployment cycle the troops of the 15th MEU Realism Unit (Special Operations Capable) write letters to loved ones detailing missions, activities and thoughts as if they were away from home for the 6-7 months of a typical MEU deployment.  This helps with the immersion of the deployment cycle and has, at times been very humorous for members and at times very realistic as they sometimes reflect actual content of letters written from real service members when they were deployed into harms way. 

These letters have, over the last few deployments been posted in the more public area of our forum to allow the casual visitor the chance t get a glimpse of what goes on in a realism unit of our size during the deployment cycle.  This thread will be the "Post Office" for our deployment which will begin in April. 

If you wish to become part of the unit after reading some of these posts or watching some of our videos, don't hesitate to hit the join button, We are always recruiting.   

• Like 1

1stLt D. A. Thomas

Headquarters, 15th MEU(SOC)

FPO San Diego, CA 92102

Dear Patti and kids,

It has been hectic getting everyone on the ships and all of the equipment stowed and ready to leave but we are finally underway.  The ships are steaming South first, it looks like we should have our first liberty call in Acapulco believe it or not.  We are scheduled to run a training exercise with the Mexican Marines next week and should have a day or two when it is completed to let the troops do some sight seeing.  When that one is done it will be up to the CONPHIBRON Commander as to where we go next. 

Since becoming the Operations Officer for the MEU I have been watching trainings to get a feel for the battalion and specifically India Company.  I think they are ready for anything that gets thrown at them and I know they will make us proud.  It seems like the guys are all the same no matter what company you look at and I am seeing familiar faces everywhere.  I guess that is the nature of the Marine Corps that since it is the smallest of the armed services, you run into guys you know from other commands.  Looking around it seems like all of India Company 3rd Blt of the 1st Marines is made up of guys from the 2nd Blt or the 4th Marines.  Isn't it funny how that works out? 

Anyway, I will call you from Mexico, doing the math you will probably get this letter the day before we get there or maybe the day after depending on how fast the Navy gets the mail bag off the ship.  Let the kids know I will be calling and I will get them something from Mexico to send them. 

Love to all,

Dave

• Like 2

Pvt R. Bain
Infantry Training Battalion, 15th MEU(SOC)
FPO San Diego, CA 92055

My dearest Makaela,
I'm sorry I have not had time to write lately, things have been going non-stop. I have finally finished training and have been given my first duty assignment.  I'm to be assigned India Company 3rd Blt of the 1st Marine. They have a long history of serving the nation in some of the toughest conflicts known. I hope that I can live up to the people that came before me. I look forward to learning and growing as I go throughout my Career. I have missed you truly more than I ever through possible. Maybe once I get to my station you can fly over and we can hang out while I'm on leave. Well hun, I gota go you would not believe the shear amount of shit that I have to pack up. I will call you once I get to my new station.
I love you with all of my heart,

Ricky

PS: Let the family know I said hi, and thanks for coming to see me on family day.
Edited by Rieader

March 28, 2017

San Diego, CA

Morning

Dearest Bailey,

I am sorry for the note I left you on.  Things have been so hectic in the past few weeks and getting reassigned to India Company on top of the buildup for our deployment hasn't made me the freest man in the world.  I just want you to know I love you and that you've been on my mind all the way back to California and will be as we sail to Mexico.  I'll try and call you as soon as we reach port in Acapulco as I think this letter is all I will have time to write to you before we send off.  

I do look forward to working with the Mexicans though.  With what little Spanish you've taught me I think I'm well prepared to report all of the flaming cheese pants I encounter of which I'm sure there will be plenty.  I'm thankful I packed before going on leave but I cant shake the thought that I've forgotten something.  I guess we'll see how it pans out.   I will let you know more about how it goes when I get settled and start working but for now I think I'll leave it at that.  Just promise me you won't hesitate to see the doctor if something isn't feeling right.  I love you for being stubborn but not while I'm gone.  Take care and I'll talk to you soon.  

Yours always,

Austin

• Like 2

1stLt N. Barnett

Foxtrot Company, 2/4 Marines

Dear Mom and Dad, 

well I finally get to go home! im getting out! today is my last day as a Platoon Commander for a Weapons Plt in Foxtrot Company. I already have my ticket bought to come home but i haven't told Morgan I wanna surprise her. I have so much I wanna do when I get back you have no idea. 

Dad well I was suppose to be coming home but now Im being resigned for an upcoming deployment. They think I might go fly which would be cool but ill keep you posted.

Love,

Nathan

Edited by 1stLt N. Barnett

Sgt A. Hansen

2nd Platoon, Delta Company

San Diego, CA

Mom and dad, 

I know it has been a while, guess I haven't had much time on my hands since I re-upped with the 15th so I guess now is as good of time as any for an update. 

I transferred to our tank section "Titan", felt like that was the best place to go after coming back. The guys in the platoon are great, and we all got along well from the start. They are a crazy bunch, but what else is expected from people who enjoy sitting in a tank more than 1k away from the action. 

You've probably already heard but the 15th is preparing to get sent down to Mexico to start joint training with the Mexican army. Guess that is what I get for complaining about the Michigan weather recently. I'll be writing you guys again as soon as we get set up across the border. 

Hope you are well, tell Zane I'll be writing a letter to as well soon here. Pretty sure either Cpl Breedlove or SSgt Carlton took my phone so I can't let him know myself.

Talk to you soon,

Adam 

• Like 1

2ndLt Kenneday

Aviation Combat Element

VMM-161 Greyhawks 1-3 CoPilot

Dearest Babe,

Sorry I haven't written earlier but there has been quite a lot of changes for me recently, as you might have noticed I've been transferred to another detachment, their called the Greyhawks and they were the first helicopter transport squadron in the world, so there is a lot of history here, which pretty much means their constantly up my ass about doing shit properly. That being said the engineers around here are so fucking useless, the MV-22s here can't fully deploy their ramps all the way down so the troops have to legit climb and pull themselves onto the ramp, so be hopeful I don't do any hot infiltrations any time soon, that's even if we get used because of it.

The bad thing is I essentially got demoted from element leader to a lowly fucking Co-pilot so less money coming home now so stop buying so many god damned clothes, worse thing is my pilot constantly makes fun of my accent and the way I greet people, I fear he is going to get me killed one day or himself if you know what I mean. My detachment commander is nice enough, unless we're at base playing Dota2, he takes it a bit too seriously and insults me about my poor laning and farming skills.

There are rumors around that we are being deployed soon, have no fear though all we do is really pick up troops and drop at some random spot, usually out of enemy fire so I'm sure I'll be fine, although my flying skills are not so great so I probably won't be flying around for a while here.

Anyways hopefully I'll be home soon when it's all done.

Yours truly

S.Kenneday

@Capt Butzke

@Capt Carlton

Edited by 2ndLt Kenneday
  • Like 1

Sgt M. Jones

Alpha Company Force Reconnaissance

San Diego, CA

Dear Mom and Dad

Im sorry I havent written you in so long we have been training in preparation for deployment and you know how the security can get with us. I just wanted to write you to let you know that im doing alright and everything is going well, the guys and I have just been honing our skills and hanging out. Im sorry I did not come home for this past Christmas I know how important it is to you guys that we get together for the holidays but I had to do abit of soul searching on my own. The good news is I think this will be my last deployment, after this one I think Ill back off for re-enlistment and come home and work at the office with you dad at least if you'll have my dumb ass haha. Were shipping out in a few days and I wont be able to contact you guys once we arrive at our destination, operational security and all that but I promise to be safe and ill come back home in one piece and it will be like those good old days before I left home. 

Love you always, Your son Michael.

Capt D. A. Thomas

FPO San Diego, CA 92102

Dear Patti and kids-

Training with the Mexicans was pretty good, liberty in Acapulco was phenomenal.  It was great talking to you and the kids and I have already sent the kids a box with some things I picked up for them...and a little something for you.  We have been back on the ships now for a few days and we have plans to stop in San Antonio, Chile and if we do I will call from there.  More later when I have more for you.

Well, it happened, LtCol Alexander called an all hands muster last night and they pinned on my Captains bars.  I thought we were going to get a briefing about what is next in the deployment but he surprised me with my railroad tracks.  It was nice and the troops all had very nice things to say about it, which I appreciate very much.  It really gets to me sometimes when I think how lucky I am to be surrounded by these guys and girls.  They really are more of a family than anything else.

Hey baby, I know it has been a few days and I had planned on sending this letter off but we had a few things pop up.  We bypassed stopping in Chile and are continuing South at best speed.  I don't know much yet but will let you know what I can when I can.  Keep in contact with Mrs. Penny and make sure the phone tree is up to date, I have a feeling we are going to be needing it soon.  Contact the wives of the Company Commanders and make sure they are in contact with their respective platoon commanders wives so all information can be passed to everyone as soon as it is received. 

We have been through this before, hell you're an old pro by now.  Stay strong for the kids and the younger wives that haven't been through it yet and help them where you can.  I'm going to be mostly out of the line of fire so our main worry should be the troops.  Remember, morale is key for the troops, remind all the wives, husbands, girlfriends and boyfriends to write uplifting letters as often as possible, it can literally save lives. 

I have to go, I'm mailing this now.

Dave 

SNA J. Freeman

Aviation Combat Element

HMH-465, Warhorse 3-4 AC

Queens, New York City 24846

Dear Mom and Dad,

Sorry for not writing to you guys for a while since it became very busy around here. Through the long months of training on the CH-53e which is a great reliable piece of artwork that the Marine Corps has to offer I became very honed in on my job. Also it seem's that word is going around about my detachment going to shipping out to deployment. I don't really know where we headin and don't worry i'm going to be fine; there are a lot of good guys here. Hopefully before we ship out for deployment they let all of us go on leave and if not its fine love u guys. If u guys can could u send little things from back home and maybe some non-perisable food cause alot of guys love it when people from our crew bring stuff from home. See you soon; Love ya

Sgt A. Hansen

2nd Platoon, Delta Company

San Diego, CA

Dear Zane, Anthony, Jr, and Casey:  

Hey guys, how is it going stateside? Been a while since we last spoke but I really hope you are doing well over there. Mom probably already told you but I am currently in Mexico with the MEU. We've been doing training operations with the Mexican army, they have been going very well and we met some great guys down here. I've picked up a few things to send to you guys I know you'll get a kick out of. I also just recently hit Sgt via Cat B promotion. My TC wrote a really nice letter up to command and they approved it. 

You've probably heard through then news that the 15th MEU is getting deployed soon. I'm not sure how much I can say right now but I promise that I will write to all of you again when I know more. 

I know deployments are scary times for family but know that I am a crewman for an abrams, one of the toughest tanks out there so don't worry too much. Titan has the infantry's back and they have ours so we will be as safe as possible. Zane, don't tell Grandma and Grandpa about the deployment just yet. I don't wana worry them and I want to make sure I have all the information needed before I write to them.

I have to go now, the crew and I are going out for training.

Adam

Capt M. "StarGazer" Gage
Aviation Combat Element, HMLA-369
San Diego, CA

Howdy Family,

Its been awhile since I actually wrote a letter home back to you guys.  So how has everything been? Oh yeah, our previous Detachment commander finally went into reserves.  You know, Captain Hogan.  Poor bastard had been at this for years. He really did deserve a break from all this though, especially from our shenanigans.  Our new Detco isn't too bad, really good kid. A little wet behind the ears sometimes but he will get the hang of it.  And besides,  as a previous detachment commander, I try to help him as best I can.  

So apparently I have been spending entirely too much time around our maintenance crews that I have started to pick up a lot of some of the behind the scenes stuff for our AH-1's.  Although, when we were last at base I sort of accidentally **Redacted**.  So now everybody has dubbed me StarGazer because of it.   Thankfully though nobody was seriously hurt except for a few minor injurys.  

Oh and they finally let me rename my AH-1.  God, Shiva was such a terrible name for her.  Sad part is though is that I was watching Suckerpunch for the like the fifth time since leaving you guys a few months back, that I named my bird Babydoll.  Kind of funny right?  Not only that but sometimes it feels like she has her own personality when me and my co-pilot are up there flying.  Some days she can be sweet and nothing seems to go wrong but other days, man she can be a real bitch I mean handful.  I wouldn't want it any other way though.

Well hey, our Detco is calling us up for briefing.  I have a general idea of what is going on but no specifics.  I will let you know whats happening, if by some reason you dont already have it figured out by the time this letter makes it to you.

I love you all,

Mike

p.s.  make sure to give Echo some hugs from me.  Poor dog is probably missing me way to much.

• Like 1

April 2, 2017

Acapulco, Mexico

Evening

Dearest Bailey,

I thoroughly enjoyed our phone call today, I'm always so happy to hear from you.  I can't tell you how proud I am of you again for getting that internship!  You're going to do great things I can tell already!  I wish things were peachy down here, you wouldn't believe it but my bird is busted.  Immediately after our element was done training the instruments failed so I am out for this training tomorrow.  I am a little upset about it but I don't think I'll be out of the action long.  I know we haven't fully come to terms with me going back on deployment but the time has come.  I got some inside word that it's happening and happening fast.  We are shipping south and I think, if I am not mistaken, going to one of the southernmost islands in South America.  I forget the name but we are going to be briefed on it later this week so I'll let you know.  Take a look at the news and see if they're talking about it maybe that will clear it up.  Look on the bright side though, maybe I can shoot down to Antarctica and snatch a penguin.  I'll let you name him if you want!  Joking aside, I know this is new for you but it's not new to me and Adam and I have seen scarier things on Altis.  I just hope he's okay on the ground, I wish I could be there with him.  David says hi by the way, he won't shut up about us moving to Texas.  I think you should consider it!  That is all from me, stay in touch with my mother, I'm sure she will want to hear from you.  Say hi to your mom, sisters and ol' Skippy for me.  Make sure he knows I called him that.  I love you like mad and can't way to see you in six months.

Yours always,

Austin

Brethren. 

I am sure you are most anxiously awaiting word of my imminent arrival to face the enemy. Fear not, I shall dispatch appropriate missives closer to the time. Details on our precise location are naturally classified, but we are informed with absolute reliability that we shall be facing the enemy in the southern Atlantic ocean, off the coast of south America. It looks to be a good fight, and I look forward to gracing our halls with tales of victory and valor. Hopefully they will have battle honours that we can rip from their cold lifeless hands. It will be good to have a stand up fight for a change.   

Fulfilling the terms of the bet I took with Mr Heathcliffe has been most onerous, but I shall do my best to revenge myself upon him when I return. 

Be well.

Andriam. 

• Like 1

Capt D. A. Thomas

FPO San Diego, CA 92102

Patti-

We have been steaming for two days faster than I would have believed possible for a ship this size and we are close to our destination.  I will be disembarking soon but I wanted to give you what information I have (that's not classified).  No doubt you will hear of these developments before this letter reaches you so this will come as no surprise, the 15th is being tasked with the defense of a friendly government and our troops are ready.

I spent last night walking through the hanger deck chatting with some of the troops, a pat on the shoulder here, a casual joke there while India Company was cleaning rifles, loading gear and generally getting ready to disembark the ships for an unknown period of time.  The ACE pilots and maintenance crews worked around the ground troops getting the aircraft ready for action.  On the Well Deck the AAV crews and LED guys were readying their equipment too.  I spoke with Capt Wiggin (LED) and 1stLt Velten (AAV) and made sure their troops were squared away.  All of the men are in high spirits but it isn't hard to tell the new guys from the ones that have been through this before.  The old hands are quiet and speculative, some withdrawn in their own little world.  Most of the new guys are excited and talking bravely about what they are going to do and how easy this is going to be.  I know from experience that will end as soon as the first rounds fly.  For the most part the older men and women have been giving good solid advice to the new joins, the MEU is ready for whatever we see.

I may be out of contact for a while but I will write as often as I can.  I spoke with 2ndLt Frey (S1 officer) and made sure the SGLI is all set, you and the kids will be taken care of in the event something happens to me.  The Will is set and in the safe deposit box along with the title to the cars and the Bonds we got for our wedding...hard to believe it has been 25 years.  I know you hate this part but it is necessary.

Love to all,

Dave 

Edited by 1stLt D. A. Thomas

Penelope, my Love,

Why haven't you written me back? It's been over a month. I know we argued the last time we spoke, but I need to hear or read your words, hear your voice in my head again, telling me you love me. You know this is what I do. It won't be forever, just until I can get the money saved and training to move us into a better place, get our life finally on the track we always talked about. I've been sending as much as I can, saving every bit. I hope that it helps. Use the HSA card for all of your Dr visits. There should be enough to get you through the treatments, and then my Dad said he would help with the rest until we get past the deductible. Just a little while longer. I've been talking to some friends on the outside, getting some good leads on job prospects. We're gonna be ok, baby, I promise.

I probably won't be able to write again or talk to you for a little bit, just know how much I love you and miss you. I'll call when I can.

Love you,

-B

• Like 1

Pvt H. Harris

3rd Platoon, India Company

FPO San Diego, CA 92102

04 April 2017

Dear Mother,

I got the call late, but it came nonetheless. We’re off to hit Cordocas. It’s one of those island nations at the very southern tip of South America. I don’t expect I’ll be gone long. I’ve got the best in the business backing me up; I guess I have a good feeling I’ll make it through this, so don’t get all emotional about that. Heh.

Because I’m the new guy, they call me a boot. I don’t mind, though; no one ever takes aim at your boot.

I hate to cut this letter short, mother, but I wanted you to have something from me before we get there. I know Paul has my back, I’m unsure if he’s being sent out with us. Give Charles my love; remind him it’s his family to run, same as his business. Heck, I’ll be a retired war vet out on the street soon enough, who’s gonna support me then? Heh.

Wish me luck, mother.

Love,

Hunter

Edited by Pvt H. Harris

HR Lockworth

Weapons Platoon, India Company

FPO San Diego, CA 92102

Dear Dad,

Hey Dad! Sorry I haven't written you in a while. Between training and the deployment, I have been pretty busy. We are currently on the ship and on our way to some place called Corodcas. It's some place in the southern part of South America. To be honest, I'm pretty nervous. I was just assigned to 4-1. (That's a section in the weapons platoon.) Apparently, being a weapons or section corpsman is a bit different from a rifle or squad corpsman. So prior experiences with fun field days as a squad corpsman is not going to help me all that much.

Unfortunately, since I just got assigned to my new platoon, I wasn't able to participate as a corpsman in any FTX's. So I'm going to have to adjust real quick to the way this platoon operates if I want to have any chance of saving my new brothers when the time comes. I heard that the old corpsman for this section was pretty good. So I just hope that I can fill his shoes effectively. So that maybe someday, my fellow marines will trust me to the fullest extent to get them home alive. 

That's all I got for you as of now Dad. Since we are still on this ship, there isn't much happening aside from the normal bullshittery that happens here on a daily basis. Tell Mom and everyone else that I love them and I'm doing good. Depending on how long it takes for you to get this letter, I may be already on the island when you get this. Also, tell Chloe that she needs to stop with the letters telling me how dead I'll be on a scale from 1-10 after this deployment.

I'll write you once I land, but until then, wish me luck Dad.

Love,

Shane

HN (FMF) S. Davis
Law Enforcement Detachment, 15th MEU(SOC)

FPO San Diego, CA 92102

Hey Mom,

Sorry I couldn’t call, we were rushed out of Mexico quicker than I expected. These ship side deployments suck, I prefer solid ground. We had a blast in Mexico before the training started. Sgt Mays took us all out to an old bar and the guys drank themselves silly, morning formation was a harder fight then the FTX. Training is more of the same but unfortunately, my second corpsman, Brian Doughty was transferred out before we boarded for Mexico. Master Chief says I should have a fresh replacement before we hit the deck on the next stop.

About that next stop, well, it looks like we are being deployed to some island on the tip of South America. President Trump said we need to stand with our allies. I’ll go where the navy sends me. It should be pretty smooth sailing (mind the pun) on our way there, but we are supposed to be one of the first elements on the ground. Looks like a pretty simple mission out the gate, we doing a REDACTED. We trained for this pretty heavily back in California, looks easy from what I have heard about the locals.

Anyway, I will write again when I have chance. I’ll be spending my time training this new guy before his first real operation. Unlike last time, I’m packing an extra pair of long johns, frozen wastelands be damned. Let Dad know he is the next up on my call list, that or I’ll write him. Also, I have included my first helmet cam footage in the SD card. Please, don’t watch it, just hold on to it for me.

With Love,

Shelby

Edited by HN (FMF) S. Davis

*****Operational Immediate*****

To: Headquarters USMC

6APR17- 0000hrs, FR inserted into CTO via helocast.  Data collected and transmitted to fleet and rebroadcast via satellite to HQUSMC.  Package delivered and set to open at 0545 local.  All personnel green, awaiting visit from Taurus.  Recommend movement of Geoffrey to Storms End, winter is coming.

End Message

• Like 2

06APR17- 0145hrs (local), RUS HQ has advised 15th MEU of one (1) battery of 105mm Howitzers (5 guns) attached to 15th MEU HQ for tasking in upcoming operations.  This battery has reported to MEU HQ as "UP" and ready to begin support operations immediately.  Due to the various objectives of MEU forces, this battery will be supporting each of the task forces as an "on call" fire support asset.  The remaining RUS fire support assets are currently supporting the withdrawal of RUS troops to tertiary defensive positions.

RUS forces are falling back at all points of the current defense line with heavy casualties.  Exact whereabouts of Geoffrey unclear at this time, other than in transit from King's Landing to Storm's End, final destination reported as Dragonstone but no firm sightings as of this time.

End Message

• Like 1

Cpl Teed

FPO San Diego, CA 92102

20 APR 17

My dearest family,

Today we leave for Cordocas. It's a small island nation off the southern coast of South America. Another hell hole to play in. Nothing better for a Marine. But this is different. These soldiers aren't jihadists from some ill war-torn country in the middle of the desert. They are smart, adaptable, and combat effective. The worst part? They dress like us and use the almost exact same equipment as us. It is going to be a tough one, but we are Marines, and Marines never give up. To be honest, I am really excited. It has been so long since I have seen any real action. I know you worry about me, but I will be fine. I am in one of the best damn squads in India Company and we will overcome whatever challenges we face. I love you all and I can't wait to see you all again. 

Love,

Bryan

Edited by Cpl Teed

Cpl Teed

FPO San Diego, CA 92102

Dear Kaylee,

Some may wonder why I am writing to you, with you being just one year old and all. But should anything happen to me, I want you to have something to read back on. Something to laugh and cry over. A part of me and a shared memory that means so little to anyone but us two. My dearest daughter, how daddy misses you. It seems like forever since I last saw you, when really it's only been a few months. I am sorry for how things have turned out. I am sorry that I was not there to see you take your first steps, to hear you say your first words, or to be there for you when you most needed me. I try hard everyday, and I know I am not, but I feel like a failure to you. I feel like I have let you down. I hope you can forgive me for the situation I put us both in. 

We are going to Cordocas. It is a small island nation just off the southern coast of South America. I've seen the pictures, and if it wasn't for the fact it is occupied by a dictator and a murderer, it would be such a beautiful place to visit. The island itself is gorgeous. There are so many plants and animals there. I know you would have had a wonderful time. It's nice to think about, isn't it? In another life, you, me, and mommy, sitting on the beach, enjoying the warm summer sun. You would be splashing in the water and just having such a grand time. I love your laugh. It brings me peace and it reassures me to know that you are too young to truly understand what happened. Well, I have to go now angel. We are getting ready to board the ship. Maybe when we return, Colonel Penny will let me take you aboard and give you a personal tour. Daddy loves you. Now and forever, forever and always.

Love, 

Daddy. 

6APR17- 0700hrs (Local)- At 0300 (local) elements of the Law Enforcement Detachment landed at King's Landing and successfully escorted Geoffery to Dragonstone.  0500 (local), Task Force Alpha secured the towns of Serval and Skelter following amphibious landing.  Task Force Bravo moved to blocking positions west of TFA holding bridge following amphibious landing.  Task Force Charlie moved to blocking position east of Yolandi following heloborne insert.  Task Forces Bravo and Charlie report achieving total surprise on enemy forces.  Task Force Alpha reports NRC forces expecting assault with AAA threat high.  All Task Forces report high enemy personnel, equipment and material losses with minimal friendly casualties.

All objectives met.  Casualty reports to follow.

End Message

1stLt McArdle
Aviation Combat Element, VMFA-211
San Diego, CA

Beth,

I don't really know why I'm writing this to you, I guess I just feel the need to tell someone something.

Yesterday was my first chance to get into the skies and test my metal on this deployment.  It was a beautiful early morning flight, the stars were out with very few clouds.  If you could gather a moment and forget what you're doing there, you'd see how beautiful this area really is.  Looking down onto the mountains and cities, you see these beautiful little towns surrounded by hills and mountains covered in show, it almost takes your breath away.  But as soon as you can get a chance to enjoy the view, all hell breaks loose.  In all the missions I've flown thus far, none has made me feel so useless.  We were able to spot some enemy helicopters charging at our boys on the ground from a large distance away, but were unable to do anything except give a heads up.  Sitting there, watching, knowing that they are going to rain hell down on them leaves your stomach in a knot.  I know why we couldn't engage any earlier, but that doesn't make it any less painful to see those helicopters lighting up the ground, leaving you wondering if any of your friends are in their path of destruction.  Thankfully we were eventually able to destroy the threat, but at what cost?  I don't know, I've yet to see what paperwork of who was hit.  It was a rough first mission, and it's only beginning.  

Say hello to your parents for me, maybe I'll write again.

Mc