• Hawaii Time Pacific Time Mountain Time Central Time* Eastern Time Western European Eastern European Eastern Daylight

*Official unit time is Central Time. All times posted are in the Unit time unless otherwise indicated.

SSD brands

Cpl (Ret) M. Alfonso

Hello guys, just wanting to ask your thoughts on a Western Digital m.2 SSD compared to other brands like Samsung, Cruxial, and Transcend. Though I don't really know what specific SSD I need I just know it's a m.2 SSD and I specifically need a size of 250gb to 500gb. This is for my work-travel laptop.

The laptop is a GL552VX

i7 7thGen
12Gb DDR4 RAM (4gb x 1 | 8gb x 1)
1TB HDD
GTX 950M with 2gb GDDR5

I feel it lacks the enough speed to run my programming and designing tools/softwares. I know I should have bought a laptop that already have 16gb RAM, an SSD, and maybe 4gb+ VRAM but at that moment, I was just in a hurry of buying a good enough laptop so that I can attend a competition the next day. I can sell the laptop but I'm not into selling personal stuff

Also, have anyone done cloning? Or I think that is what you call when transferring your OS from HDD to SSD (one drive to another). Some people told me that it's illegal though I don't know if it's true, if it is then I think it doesn't make any sense...

Edited by Cpl M. Alfonso

After some research, it seems that your laptop can take up to a 256GB M.2 SSD. This SSD from Samsung should do the trick. Here are some other options as well. Just be aware that your max SSD size is 256GB, but you can always upgrade your ram/HHD according to Asus.

Gone through most of the shops at a shopping mall's "cyber wing" and all they had was a Western Digital M.2 SSD. I just don't like buying expensive stuff online lol. And it's a bit confusing cuz I also did my research and yeah, It's only up to 256GB (or 500GB I think) but the shop where I bought the laptop told me: "You can even put 2TB SSD there if you want to". Maybe he was referring to exchanging the HDD to an SSD.

Anyways, have anyone done cloning? Or I think that is what you call when transferring your OS from HDD to SSD (one drive to another). Some people told me that it's illegal though I don't know if it's true, if it is then I think it doesn't make any sense...

I'd imagine you'd be able to put in whatever size SSD you want to since your existing HDD runs through SATA.  An M.2 drive will provide you more throughput than an SSD since it's using the PCIE bus instead of SATA6 (which I assume your board has given the other specs).  From what I have found....

• You will need to get an M.2 2280 chip.  Anything other than a 2280 will not work because you dont have the mounts or size for it. 
  • You can clone windows to the M.2 chip but there's not much of a point.  Leave windows on your HDD, store all your critical documents and install programs onto the M.2.  You'll get the M.2 speed when using those programs with the large capacity of Windows on the HDD.  If you're insistent on getting Windows onto your M.2 device, you'll need to download the windows 10 ISO to a flash drive and do a clean install onto the M.2 chip.  Microsoft has a how to on that here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  • The storage size on the M.2 chip shouldnt matter.  As long as you have the 2280 form factor you are fine.  This video shows installation of an M.2 on your computer at 500GB

Edited by Capt Steever
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Capt Steever said:

You can clone windows to the M.2 chip but there's not much of a point.  Leave windows on your HDD, store all your critical documents and install programs onto the M.2.  You'll get the M.2 speed when using those programs with the large capacity of Windows on the HDD.

Good point. There's actually no need for transferring the OS for now. I can maybe do it in the future. But in the future, I may just do a clean install instead. A question though: How'd you know it's a 2280 chip?

I wanna know if I can run Arma with this but I just can't try yet. I don't want a laptop exploding again

Edited by Cpl M. Alfonso

The video of the dude putting it in has a sticker that says 2280 only on the bottom.

Alternatively, the M.2 chip sizes are all 22XX.  The XX is the length of the chip. To find this, measure from the slot where the chip goes in to the mount/standoff.  Yours should be about 75mm (you'll have a couple MM inside the slot and beyond the mount standoff)