• Hawaii Time Pacific Time Mountain Time Central Time* Eastern Time Western European Eastern European Eastern Daylight

*Official unit time is Central Time. All times posted are in the Unit time unless otherwise indicated.

[SOLVED]Windows 10 Freezing constantly since 10 of June 2017

Lately I've been having this issue with my PC, in which after starting up my PC a random amount of time passes and the PC completely freezes entirely, even when not doing anything, it freezes for a random amount of time and then carries on normally, a minute or two later it freezes again, sometimes for a second or two, or several minutes. After leaving the computer on for a long time it stops freezing and continues normally be it playing or watching the internet, I cannot point fingers at what might be causing the issue, I've googled the issue and seen a lot of solutions which do not work for my situation. I thought it could be a bad windows update, so I tried to force an update, which apparently I was unable to install Framework 4.7, something about my windows update being corrupted or something, so I attempted to install it manually but did not work, as it gave me an error which I do not know about.

I want to know if there's any other solution than erasing everything from my SSD and reinstalling windows 10 fresh

The solutions I've tried so far:

-Updated all my drivers from my motherboard's page
-Attempted to update Windows 10, will not install the updates due to corrupted files
-Reset my overclock to default settings in the EUFI
-chkdsk, ran and no change
-SFC /scannow could not fix it
-Startup Repair unable to fix the issue.
-Restore point, I accidently deleted my restore points by running CCleaner
-Reset Windows 10, tells me it is corrupted and cannot do it
-Ran in safemode but still freezes as usual
-Tried to upgrade to the creators update to see if it would solve the issue but no luck

Specs:
Motherboard: Asus z170 Pro Gaming
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700k
RAM: G.Skill RIPJAWS DDR4 16GB(x2 8GB) 2400MHz (running them at 2133MHz seem to have reduced the time it freezes)
GPU: EVGA GTX970 2.0 CC 4GB
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO
PSU: Corsair CX750M

disabled everything on my startup

Edited by 2ndLt Lozano

jezz ... sounds like you did already the most common thinks.

Mhhh ok open task manager. Go to performance and then right click the cpu graph. Select the second option "Show Kernel Times" Then let it open anmd wait untill you have a hang or 2 and take images of that once it is done hanging / freezing.. I am just interested if it shows anything there that is not normal.

Beside that i would have tried to find a hard drive you can format.. then disconnect all other drives ( Remember the order for later when you plug everything back ) and then install windows again and see if you still have the issue ( So you can roule out any major hardware issues with the CPU, Memory or GPU for some odd reasons. (  This would still leave you with thinks like drive issues though) 

Edited by Pvt Gutbier
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pvt Gutbier said:

jezz ... sounds like you did already the most common thinks.

Mhhh ok open task manager. Go to performance and then right click the cpu graph. Select the second option "Show Kernel Times" Then let it open anmd wait untill you have a hang or 2 and take images of that once it is done hanging / freezing.. I am just interested if it shows anything there that is not normal.

Beside that i would have tried to find a hard drive you can format.. then disconnect all other drives ( Remember the order for later when you plug everything back ) and then install windows again and see if you still have the issue ( So you can roule out any major hardware issues with the CPU, Memory or GPU for some odd reasons. (  This would still leave you with thinks like drive issues though) 

Sounds like a good idea, I'll try that once I get to it

So... This is a pretty long shot, but do you use Chrome? It was causing a host of issues for me earlier this week, and completely reinstalling it and all other Google software fixed some issues I was having with responsiveness.

Like I said. It's a LONG shot, but also easier than a complete nuke and pave.

Thing is, that it also froze without using google chrome, but maybe that could be a solution, I had a similar issue on my laptop back then due to google chrome, so I'll give it a try before going nuclear. I got myself on the windows 10 Education version so maybe this will help, I was unable to upgrade it due to corrupt BS, I really don't want to go nuclear on my PC, hopefully this is the solution, thanks, once I get on my PC I'll unistall anything related to google, thanks for the suggestion!

You can try to use the event viewer to search for error. In the search box type event viewer, once in the app go to los ,system search for the tie and date of the issue see if there is any warnings and on that probay you will see the error type.

I would suggest try to do an in place upgrade before the clean installation, if SFC told you that you had corruption files this will fix it. Go to the web site"download windows 10 ISO file" ( Google it)select the option from microsoft support, then search for the "more download options" and select the academic products. In the new page put your product key download the specific version of your software, run it, when it ask you, select upgrade this PC and let the computer do the process.

If your OS is corrupted this should fix it if not do the clean installation.

Edited by J.Hito

Well, I finally nuked it ;( No issues so far! will keep you all updated, thanks for the help and support!

UPDATE: I'm installing everything back and the only issue I had was with windows not allowing a driver to work, but that was sorted (something about no registered key, an intel driver) and Steam locating existing files and deleting them to redownload the games.

No more freezing!

Edited by 2ndLt Lozano