The mission of the Marine Corps rifle squad is to locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver and/ or repel enemy assault by fire and close combat.
The 15th MEU(SOC) Realism Unit Rifleman is the core of the 15th. Riflemen in the 15th deploy a variety of small arms to complete the infantry's mission including, but not limited to: The M9 9mm pistol, M4 Carbine, M16 Rifle, M203 Grenade Launcher, M249 SAW, M27 IAR, M136 AT4, M72A2 LAW, and the M112 Demolition Charge.
Riflemen are the primary scouts, assault troops, and close combat forces available to the MEU. They are the foundation of the Marine infantry organization, and as such are the nucleus of the fire team in the rifle squad. Noncommissioned officers are assigned as fire team leaders, squad leaders, and platoon HQ members. Riflemen operate in 4 man fire teams consisting of:
- Fire Team Leader - Leads the fire team and who's secondary role is proper employment of the M203 Grenade Launcher
- Rifleman - Supports the fire team leader and employs the M136 AT4 Anti Tank Weapon System. Alternatively, the Rifleman can carry one of three special weapons - The M1014 12 gauge, semi-automatic combat shotgun; The M32 MGL(Multiple Grenade Launcher), or the M110 Designated Marksman Rifle.
- Automatic Rifleman - Effectively employs the M249 SAW or M27 IAR
-0313 LAV Crewman
- Assistant Automatic Rifleman - Scans, ranges, and helps the Automatic Rifleman AT4 falls to the AAR. Additionally, the AAR assumes responsibility for proper employment of the automatic Rifle in the event that the AR is unable to fire.
The LAV crew's primary mission is to provide reconnaissance either directly or indirectly by the Scout team it carries by utilizing the USMC Light Armored Vehicle(LAV) and employing thermal optics on the LAV-25 variant. The secondary mission is to provide security via gunnery and weapons skills for the employment of the 25mm chain gun, the coaxial and pintle-mounted 7.62mm machineguns.
Must be qualified as basic infantryman and having completed training at the School of Infantry, in the Infantry Training Battalion (ITB) as a 0311. LAV Crewmen operate in 3 man teams consisting of:
- Vehicle Commander - Leads the vehicle crew and employs the thermal optics for reconnaissance, and directs the gunner's fire.
-0331 Machine Gunner
- Gunner - Effectively employs the 25mm Chain gun and 7.62mm coaxial machinegun
The Machine Gun Team's mission is to effectively employ the M240 Medium Machine Gun providing direct fire in support of the rifle squads. Machine Gunners operate in 3 man teams. In the 15th, Machine Gun Teams are often attached directly to rifle squad for effective, direct fire support.
The Machine gunner is responsible for the tactical employment of the 7.62mm M240 medium machine-gun. Machine gunners provide direct fire in support of the rifle squads/platoons/companies within a MEU. They are located within the weapons platoon of the infantry companies. Noncommissioned officers are assigned as team leaders and squad leaders/section leaders. Machine Gunners operate in 3 man teams consisting of:
- Team Leader - Leads the team and directs the Machine Gunner's Fire.
- Machine Gunner - Effectively employs the M240 Machine Gun.
- Ammo Man - Carries spare ammunition for the Machine Gunner and assists in the deployment and employment of the machine gun.
Mortarmen are responsible for the tactical employment of the 60mm light mortar. Mortarmen provides indirect fire in support of the rifle squads/platoons/companies. They are located in the weapons platoon of the infantry companies. Noncommissioned officers are assigned as mortar gunners, forward observers, fire direction plotters and squad and section leaders. Mortarmen operate in 3 man squads consisting of:
- Squad Leader - Leads the team and directs the mortar's fire.
- Gunner - Effectively employs the M224 60mm mortar.
- Ammo Man - Carries spare ammunition for the Gunner and assists in the deployment and employment of the mortar.
The primary mission of the 0351 Assaultman in the 15th MEU(SOC) Realism Unit is to employ the MK153 SMAW(Shoulder-Launched Multipurpose Assault Weapon) as a 2 man anti-armor and anti-fortification team. Additionally, Assaultmen employ demolitions in both offensive and defensive roles. In the 15th, Assualt Teams are often attached directly to rifle squad for effective, direct fire support.
The infantry assaultman employs rockets and demolitions. Assaultmen provide rocket fire against fortified positions in support of the rifle squads, platoons, and companies within the infantry battalion. Additionally, assaultmen employs demolitions and breaching/infiltration techniques to facilitate infantry maneuver in the offense, and demolitions and expedient counter mobility measure in the defense. Assaultmen are found in the assault sections of the weapons platoon of the infantry rifle companies. Noncommissioned officers are assigned as gunners, team, squad, and section leaders. Assaultmen operate in 2 man teams consisting of:
- Team Leader - Carries and effectively employs the MK153 SMAW. Oversees the use of any demolitions initiated by his team.
- Assistant Gunner - Carries spare ammunition for the Team Leader and assists in the deployment and employment of the SMAW and any demolitions.